Keeping pulled pork moist without drippings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

QueKC_23

Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Hey Guys! I am new to this forum and have appreciated all insight I have gained thus far from existing threads. However, I wanted to get some of your thoughts on something.

I am planning to do a long smoke Boston Butt at 225 this weekend without foil. I have always done these with foil in the past and have used the "juice" from the foil for moisture after puling. This time I won't be using foil to save some of the crispier bark. So if I am unable to use the "juice" from the foil, what do you guys recommend to add to the pork after it has been pulled? Would this be some sort of finishing sauce (like the recipe in the sticky), or maybe pork stock? Would love to hear what you guys like to do here.

P.s. My drip pans always seem to evaporate any liquid on a long smoke, so that may not be a solution here.

What type of smoker are you using?

Chris

You could also spritz the butt occasionally to make sure your drip pans have juice. Or, just keep an eye on them and empty said juice into a container before it evaporates.

I'm not visualizing how this is possible. If you are going to foil or not shouldn't matter. Just place a drip pan underneath either on a rack below or put your butt on a wire rack that will fit inside a disposable foil pan. I don't think its possible to boil out the drippings of a butt that has been taken to pulling temperatures. I always have a surplus actually.

I'm not visualizing how this is possible. If you are going to foil or not shouldn't matter. Just place a drip pan underneath either on a rack below or put your butt on a wire rack that will fit inside a disposable foil pan. I don't think its possible to boil out the drippings of a butt that has been taken to pulling temperatures. I always have a surplus actually.

I agree not at 225*, but when I'm running my WSM at 250 - 275* I loose the drippings to evaporation/burning. Usually I can work around it by putting a little apple juice or some liquid in the pan.

Chris

Thank you all! I am smoking on a traeger pro series. I will try and add a bit of liquid to the drip pan to keep drippings from drying out. I also bought some blues hog Smokey mountain finishing sauce as a back up

Pork is cooking as we speak and should be ready by kickoff of the LSU game. Thanks for all your helpful replies!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky