Just found this site!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

junior smoker

Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Well I from the great state of Texas, and consider myself a junior smoker. Hopefully this site can make me more consitent as I am hit and miss right now. My real big question is...what is the best wood to use?? I have determined that mesquite is too strong for a long smoke and really want to try pecan or oak. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to SMF. I use Hickory and Wild Cherry. I am trying to get some Apple right now. I have used Mesquite chips some but usually use Hickory the most and have fell on the Cherry. I know the Cherry is not to over powering, and of course Hickory is the most common. I hear that the Apple will give a good flavor. Im not to advanced here myself, but I know there is alot of people here that can answer this question better than I can. Good luck and remember to post some Q-view.

junior smoker
Welcome to SMF !!!
Wood preference is exactly that and your preference might change for the type of different foods you might be smoking. There are many types of wood to try, enjoy smoking and trying them all.
Finding this site is a large step in eliminating misses and making most of your smokes hits !!!

How does one start a new thread? I can only find the ability to answer an existing thread. thx
icon_cry.gif

Welcome one from the Lone Star State, yiou've become part of the evergrowning SMF. Do some reading around here, plenty of great advise, and some good smokin' experiences. You might want to try mixing some apple along with the mesquite.

Welcome to the site. When you get a chance make a post in roll call so everyone sees and we all get the proper introduction.
As far as wood it your choice. Different woods for different foods. Normally what I do. Tend to use hickory and oak the most. Cherry and apple after that.

Welcome to the forum!! I mostly use hickory and mesquite mixed, just my 2 cents, and I have a pecan tree that was cut down in the summer and is about ready.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It looks like I found some people who love smoke as much as me! Today I have a ferral sow ham that I am gonna try to smoke with hickory...since it seems to be the wood of choice and I love the smell of bacon. Diggin through this site last night for hours has given me many pointers...thanks for the thin blue smoke. I forgot who posted the picture of the two pits side be side, but I can defenitly see what thin blue smoke is now. I also enrolled in that 5 day course so we will see how that goes. Agian thanks everyone, and sorry if this isnt in roll call. I could have swore it was...o well I am new..sorry.

Thanks agian to everyone and happy smokin'!!

well i just put the ham in the smoker and there is no mistaking the color of that smoke....THIN and BLUE!! I just hope I can maintain it when adding wood later.

Welcome aboard! Yes, you did post this in the roll call thread, so you were right on the money...oak, cherry, and apple are my favorites! Can't go wrong with them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky