Joro Spider

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cpaysonc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 5, 2022
Spotted a Joro spider in Winnsboro SC. These guys are native to Japan but have now made it to the US. Reported it to a site that's tracking their movements, first reported sighting in Fairfield county. Beautiful creature, like them or not, they're coming and they'll be here to stay.
IMG_0059.jpg

From what I've read. There doesn't seem to be a big concern about them. They've been here for almost 10 years now.

Last edited:
That thing is ugly. How big are they?
Big. Really big. The larger ones are probably about 6" across when sitting on their web spread out. Body size about 1-2" long. The web can be huge. Think 10+ feet across.
We've been covered up with them in North Ga for a few years now. They don't seem to hurt anything and I've never heard of someone being bitten by one though.

Big. Really big. The larger ones are probably about 6" across when sitting on their web spread out. Body size about 1-2" long. The web can be huge. Think 10+ feet across.
We've been covered up with them in North Ga for a few years now. They don't seem to hurt anything and I've never heard of someone being bitten by one though.
That's what I've heard as well, gentle, beautiful, giants. Free, round the clock pest control. Spiders get a largely unnecessary bad rap.

Reactions: Steve H
That's what I've heard as well, gentle, beautiful, giants. Free, round the clock pest control. Spiders get a largely unnecessary bad rap.
Yep. They are cool looking. To me the only annoyance is accidentally walking through one of the webs. The web is much thicker and stronger than any of the regular spiders around here and a hassle to get off. Almost like a super sticky thin sewing thread. Luckily they seem to prefer building their webs much higher that most spiders to it doesn't happen too often.

joro.jpg

Not my pic but thats what they look like.

Yep. They are cool looking. To me the only annoyance is accidentally walking through one of the webs. The web is much thicker and stronger than any of the regular spiders around here and a hassle to get off. Almost like a super sticky thin sewing thread. Luckily they seem to prefer building their webs much higher that most spiders to it doesn't happen too often.

View attachment 678536

Not my pic but thats what they look like.
I've never seen such web, it's as if they have a standard orb web, within a hard-core "trash web" with incredible tensile strength. Really cool.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky