jerky-second try W/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mnola917

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Long Island
So I decided to try making jerky for the second time. I took all of your advice and smoked it for only an hour, then keeping it at 140 for 5 more hours. I also used a different marinade.

1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
2/3 cup worschteshire sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp brown

sugar
2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp tenderquick
2 tsp onion powder

4.75 lb top round for 8 bucks

All sliced up with the grain

in a zip loc with the marinade ready for its overnight soak

Lower rack of the smoker

Upper rack of the smoker

final product

My friends said it came out really good. I think the smoke flavor was a little bit much still, so ill smoke for less time next time. But it was pretty good overall, thanks for looking

Looks like it came out really good! If your friends liked it, ya done great!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Excellent looking jerky!

What "flavor" of wood are you using?
If you are getting "too much" smoke flavor
for your liking, it might be the wood?

Cool smoker by the way :-)

Im using hickory, I would like to try mesquite next time, being that I can only get my hands on hickory or mesquite I'm limited to choices.

mesquite can be stronger than hickory so be careful. try hardware store and outdoor stores for apple and cherry or pecan chips.

Personally, I use Hickory as well & don't care for Mesquite.

When I do jerky in my MES, I use one "pan" of dry chips & that is it.

The first time I made it about 30 years ago in a Little Chief, I must have added "a cord" of wood chips, every 1/2 hour or so through the whole smoke & it tasted horrible. I almost gave up. IMO Jerky (especially jerky) can get too much smoke pretty easily, at least for my tastebuds....Good Luck!

Living in Washington you could be somewhere near an apple orchard.........Try giving them a call and pick up some limbs when they trim their trees in the fall. I get my apple wood that way and they are happy to get rid of the trimmings........usually they are free or a nominal fee.

John

another thing to try if it's "too smokey" is not using wood at all...using just good lump will give a nice mellow smoke flavor, and you can keep it on the smoker for a few hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky