It's NOT a Pit Barrel Cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
It's my jimmy smoker that's posted earlier in this section.

I have a hanging setup for the jimmy but I wanted to hang food and grill/smoke at the same time.  The plan was to get a craycort 18.5 but it dawned on me to see if the Weber hinged grate would work.

The basket is about identical to the PBC's diameter...so I was thinking yea this can work.   In fact this can work well in a WSM, UDS, 30 gallon UDS and of course a jimmy cooker.

The fuel used was briquettes, appx 1/2 chimney and most was partial burnt stuff. The cook just a few drummies and some kabobs with cheesy sausage. The jimmy get's wicked hot so i gave it a little air and she was at 350*   It didn't take long at all and i pulled the kabobs then the chicken about 10 minutes later and pushed up the jimmy to 400*

Worked out very well...Moral of the story is use your hinged grates and expand your cooking capacity and hang all the meat or hang and grill. 

Thanks Adam!   It was simple and tasty for sure. 

Anyone with the hinged grate can do this and adjust if you want to do more grilling space too.   Say do 3-4 racks of ribs and a bunch of chicken wings and thighs at the same time on only a 18.5" grate area. 

Tasty lookin Q Keith ! Kinda cool way ya configured things there ! [emoji]127867[/emoji]

Great idea!!!

Points for the idea...
Thanks, the idea just popped in my head last evening.   Hopefully this concept can expand capacities for all kinds of smokers that have a hinged grate.  I just dry fitted 2 pork butts so that and maybe hang 3-4 racks of ribs aint bad....lots of possibilities. 
Tasty lookin Q Keith ! Kinda cool way ya configured things there ! [emoji]127867[/emoji]
Appreciate it Justin!   Now you'll have to build a UDS or make a jimmy!   lol

What happens when all the food on your kabobs slides off into the fire, Cave man style kabobs????? How come you didn't hang the chicken legs?

What happens when all the food on your kabobs slides off into the fire, Cave man style kabobs????? HowMy

What happens when all the food on your kabobs slides off into the fire, Cave man style kabobs????? How come you didn't hang the chicken legs?
Nah they're not gonna fall! lol... Hey a'int nothing wrong with caveman veggies, hahah.     Lots of people are hanging kabobs but there's always meat doing the anchor. 

I'm picturing the grate cooks for pork butts, wings, thighs legs, burgers, dogs etc... while using one or both of the hanging sides for chickens, ribs, kabobs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky