It's cold outside, but I want to smoke ABTs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokysauce

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
Wymontaho
Hi everybody. I've got a mbs that I got as a gift a while back and, in trying to figure out how to use it, came across this site. All I can say is WOW! Anyway, the ABT thread has inspired me to give 'em a shot. Only problem is, it's kinda chilly outside (about 15 with highs later reaching approx. 28). Does anyone see a problem with getting the smoker as hot as possible with the element on high and the addition of hot briquettes, throwing the ABTs on for a few hours, then, if necessary, finishing them on a gas grill? I think getting the bacon nice and crispy is gonna be a tall order on a cooler day like this, hence the gas grill finish. Will also try to figure out how to post pictures of my progress. Thanks, JP

I'm not gonna say you cann't because I cann't say that you cann't finish them on the grill because it's your abt's and smoker. I have always smoked them all the way and they are great and I have to keep some round the house all the time. So if you smoke them in the smoker you are already out in the weather so whats the differance between the smoker or the grill your still out in the elements anyway.

Hi mballi3011. I'm just wondering if my smoker will hold enough heat today to get 'em nice and done. On the other hand, I've got a bunch of hickory chips and briquettes so if they take a little longer, I guess it's no biggy. Now for a really dumb question - how do you tell when they're done?
icon_question.gif

Only one way to find out if your smoker will hold the temps.........fire it up and see what happens.

ABT is generally done with the bacon is done.

Good luck

Thanks Fatback Joe. I'll try and get the pictures figured out and keep you posted on my progress. JP

Hi Rick. It's a masterbuilt electric with a Cabela's logo. Its not the box with digital readout, but rather a vertical barrel with a large element at the bottom. It has a pan that sits directly on the element and another pan that sits in that pan (kind of a double boiler looking setup). Any suggestions? Thanks.

I've never owned and electric, wood and charcoal here. I imagine the basic rules apply though. I would try and keep it out of the wind using whatever you could as a windbreak. Other than that, crank it up and see what temps you can achieve.

If you can't get it to hold heat long enough, there is nothing wrong with finishing them inside in your oven. In fact, I had a batch made up to cook Christmas morning for the family gathering & woke up to a steady downpour. I added a little extra rub & cooked them completely in the oven
icon_redface.gif

No smoke flavor, but no one complained & they quickly disappeared.

Thanks Rick. I can't seem to figure out how to copy the img and paste it over here. This is frustrating.

OK Rick, I might have got the photo thing figured out. Anyway, here is the smoker I have. I'm gonna give it a shot and let you know how it's going. Thanks for your help.

The picture of your smoker is absolutely ridiculous. As in awesome!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky