It arrived! Yay

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alex Douglas

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 28, 2018
So im now the proud owner of an OK Joe Highland.

I’ve been obsessing about this for a while now I’m stuck on what should I try cook this weekend?

Attachments

• 0B3309B5-B1D0-45F0-B704-5FB788AD8D79.jpeg
    0B3309B5-B1D0-45F0-B704-5FB788AD8D79.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
Congrats on the new smoker!

What to cook? Hmmm. My suggestion would be something inexpensive while you learn its quirks, because every smoker has them. Sausages, chicken parts (wings, thighs, drumsticks, leg quarters, split breasts), tri tips, meatloaf, you get the idea.

Have fun!

Ray

Nice looking smoker and worth the wait, let us know what you decide.

Chris

What’s more forgiving.
Whole chicken or pork?

I’ve ordered some pecan chunks.

I really want to try smoking and working this all out

What’s more forgiving.
Whole chicken or pork?

I’ve ordered some pecan chunks.

I really want to try smoking and working this all out

I prefer pork over chicken, but as to which is more forgiving. It would depend on what type of pork you choose. Butt is very forgiving and can handle extreme temp swings, but it's a longer cook(needs to get above 200 for pull and 195 for slicing). Chops and loin are quicker and easy. Just cook to temp instead of time(145* pull them off the smoker around 140ish and let the carry over bring it up to temp). Ribs are good, but I'd get to know you smoker before I tried them. Chicken I like parts better then whole. It's easier to control. Cook until 165 breast 175 for thigh. Remember lower temp cooking on chicken will result in rubbery skin so you will want to crank the temps up or toss in the oven near the end of the cook. Let us know what you decide.

Chris

I like Pork, over Chicken.
But then, I live in a split household... She likes Apple, and I'm PC.

Mostly, it depends on what you like. Maybe just Hot Dogs and Hamburgers for the first run?
Starting simple, then go from there. :D

The most important thing is to enjoy! ;)

First of all, congrats on the new smoker!
And whatever you decide to smoke, make sure to take some photo's!
I think chicken leg quarters or thighs would be a good first smoke.
They are cheap & pretty easy to cook, you just need a meat thermometer & take them to an internal temp of 175.
If you don't have a thermometer, you should get at least a dual probe unit, with one probe for the smoker temp. & one for the meat temp. Legs & thighs need to cook a little longer than a breast, and they don't dry out like a breast would.
Also any temp between 225 & 325 will be just fine, so if you have some large temp swings while you are learning how to control the smoker temp, it won't affect the food.
Good luck & have yourself some fun!!
AL

Congrats on the new smoker! I have always liked the OKJOES...

Boston Butt for me too! It will give you plenty of time with your smoker so you can see all about fire and heat maintenance. Plus Butts are hard to mess up. Just cook it to the right temp so all the fat breaks down properly. First time I used my dads old smoker, I hadn't a clue what I was doing. Fell asleep the last few hours of the smoke, when I woke up there was the most amazing thing I had ever created on the pit...and I didn't even really know how I did it!

Congratulations on the new smoker! I have the same type too!
My first smoke on my new Oklahoma Joe was a Boston butt. Came out awesome! Just a simple rub, no wrapping and I used a combination of royal oak charcoal briquettes and hickory chunks!
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

So I seasoned it last night, it kicks out a lot of smoke, after seasoning I thought I’d have a play just to see how to control airflow ect. It fluctuates so much.

Can not wait to cook on it this weekend. Think I’m going to do a pork butt.

Will post photos and my experience with it after.

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky