Is this roast still good ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigheavyone

Original poster
Jul 10, 2009
Vermilion, Ohio
Hi guys. Was looking through freezer for something to smoke up and came across a sirloin tip roast . It is cryovac sealed and date is 10/09. Do you guys think it is ok to use or is it too old ?

Thanks
Marc

I would not use it. 3 years is a bit long in the freezer. I usually try to shoot for 6-12 months at the most, even if commercially cryovac packed.

Just my thoughts.....

I wouldn't use it either after 3 years.

As far as food safety, it should still be OK but probably the quality went South two years ago. 

That is a long time in the Freezer. There are no Safety issues, if you have the time and a Back Up Plan, go ahead and smoke it. Worst case you eat the BUP and yours or the neighbors Dogs eat really well...JJ

I would defrost it in the bag and as soon as it is defrosted real good in the frig cut it open and stick your noise in it and go by the frist smell you get from it..I am sure its still good but maybe not as fresh as you would like it..Dogs will love it if you do not...

Thanks to everyone . I am not gonna even mess with it. It was burried in the back and didnt even know it was there. For the 25 bucks it cost its not worth my time or effort . I wont even drink milk thats 1 day past exp date so i sure as heck am not eating no 3 year old meat. Thanks again to all who replied.

Marc

Just to update , told the wife to just bake it up in the oven for the dog , just went down and cut a piece off to taste and it was fine . Well fine as my wifes cooking is but it wasnt tough or spoiled. So i coulda worked my magic on it and it woulda been awesome. Oh well live and learn.

Marc

As long as meat is frozen and kept frozen from before the experation date the shelf life is unlimited. Granted it might be freezer burned a bit,but I would think that if it was still wraped in plastic from the manufacturer and never had air touch it than it would be still good. You have 1 lucky dog.

As long as meat is frozen and kept frozen from before the experation date the shelf life is unlimited. Granted it might be freezer burned a bit,but I would think that if it was still wraped in plastic from the manufacturer and never had air touch it than it would be still good. You have 1 lucky dog.
not true........just because meat is frozen does not mean all bacteria is killed nor does it take care of the spores. chances are this meat was safe to eat but after 3 years i would done as you did for the dogs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky