Is this mushroom - Hen of the Woods?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Mushrooms are not technically a vegetable but the USDA classifies them as such...so the question is posted here.

I did 20 acres or so of TSI (timber stand improvement) on my farm a couple of years back. This past late winter, we used prescribed fire to burn up the downed timber and also release all the forbs for the deer and turkey.

I am finding several of these mushrooms now. I think it is Hen of the Woods but was hoping someone else might have an opinion. It is huge!

My fungi knowledge stops at Morels...

IMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg

Reactions: uncle eddie
We just cut down about 50% of this 20 acre stand two years ago. Betting there was something there. Will look again next time I get there…probably this weekend.

This strengthens my guess that it is a black staining polypore. They grow on decaying wood.
It is certainly a black staining polypore….
They are really tough, but make a great broth. (Sautéed in butter, deglaze with white wine, and add an appropriate amount of water). If they’re really early, you can eat the edges, but like most polypores, they’re pretty leathery.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky