Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Bacon? Nope (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I know there are a lot of you that make quantities of bacon far larger than this batch but for two people and a fat dog, this is a lot of bacon. Started with three full bellies. All were over 11 pounds and total weight was right at 34 pounds. Did three different flavors, which has become the norm.

Left to right: maple sugar, Jeff's original rub, and pepper crusted
20210725_125157_Fotogenic.jpg

20210725_125203_Fotogenic.jpg

20210725_125208_Fotogenic.jpg

20210725_125213_Fotogenic.jpg

Cure and seasonings applied and into vac seal bags to cure
20210725_133348_Fotogenic.jpg

Two weeks in the cure, rinsed, second round of seasonings applied, into the fridge for an overnight rest, then onto the smoker. Rec Tec running low heat, extreme smoke
20210803_120049_Fotogenic.jpg

Eight ours later, off the smoker and into the house to cool. Then back in the fridge uncovered for another overnight rest.
20210803_174144_Fotogenic.jpg

Pepper crusted
20210803_174149_Fotogenic.jpg

Maple sugar
20210803_174155_Fotogenic.jpg

Jeff's rub
20210803_174159_Fotogenic.jpg

Next day all sliced. I got quite a bit of "scraps" also that I ran through the food processor to make crumbles
20210804_103548_Fotogenic.jpg

No pics of it all vac sealed. I was putting it in the freezer by batch as I went and didn't want to get it all back out for one picture. I slice this stuff really thick and vac seal it 8 slices to a package. The first bacon I ever made was maple and brown sugar. I used maple syrup and brown sugar and this was the one that turned the corner for Tracy from not liking bacon to making sure we never run out. The process for this one changed recently due to a Christmas exchange I did with our very good friend smokin peachey smokin peachey In the package I received from him was some celery juice powder he asked that I try using as a cure and the maple sugar. This is the second batch I've done in this manner and it's been a game changer. The bacon is WAY better. The flavors are not as pronounced as I used to make but are much better balanced and more cohesive. The pepper crusted was done on my second batch ever made and it's been a staple ever since. It does well as a breakfast meat but makes the best bacon cheeseburgers or BLT's you'll ever eat. The one seasoned with Jeff's rub was done as an experiment just kinda playing around a while back. It turned out so well it has become a must-have around here. Although a totally different flavor profile than the pepper crusted, it too makes amazing bacon burgers or BLT's. This was all wrapped up a couple weeks ago but we are pretty well set in bacon for a bit. Grand total was 32 packs of sliced and 12) 6 ounce packages of crumbles. Not a bad haul :emoji_laughing: Well, gotta go make some burger buns for my dearly beloved and get a pack of bacon out to top some burgers with later. Y'all take care, stay safe, have fun, and we will see everybody again soon.

Robert

Robert, that is a beautiful presentation. Great looking Bacon, of which you can NEVER have enough. Excellent write up too. We love Bacon around here, since we're on serious diets we only have it maybe once a month, and then very little on BLT's. Great work.

Whoa, that's about three times as much bacon as I've ever smoked in a load Robert, nice piece of work. I've had your homemade bacon for breakfast and on a burger, it's as good as it gets! RAY

Excellent, Robert!
We're partial to the Maple here and one belly lasts a good while for the two of us.
I square them off like that also so they fit in a brine bucket, but I save the "off-cuts" for sausage or "burnt ends".
I actually have some in the bucket ready to come out in a day or so.
Fine post, as usual, and you should be set for a while. Maybe not LOL!
Dan

Man that is a haul of bacon!! All looks great. I’ll have to check out using celery powder sometime.

Robert brother... you gone done it again ... NICE job bub...

A couple of questions ... Skin on or off ? a couple of pics look like they still have skin on ...

So ... Celery Powder from now on ?? And can there be to much of that for safety standards ??

Thanks ...

Reactions: chopsaw
You're set for awhile. Mighty nice haul of bacon!

Thanks Steve. I figure while going through the processes might as well make it worthwhile.

We love Bacon around here, since we're on serious diets we only have it maybe once a month, and then very little on BLT's. Great work.

OMG!! I would die if I could only have bacon once a month. that'd be almost as bad as telling me I could only have 1 beer a month :emoji_laughing:

Whoa, that's about three times as much bacon as I've ever smoked in a load Robert, nice piece of work.

Thank you for the kind words my friend. I figured out right at the beginning that it takes just as long to cure and smoke 3 bellies as it takes to do one so might as well make a bunch. Yep, there's more time slicing and vac sealing but hey, the equipment is already out and dirty. Might as well make the best of it.

Robert

Should last a while. I am about to give it up if price gets any higher!

Every thing is sky rocketing in price unfortunately. The batch of bacon prior to this one I paid $1.79 a pound for the bellies. These were $3.99 a pound and when I was at Costco last week they had gone up to $4.29 a pound. I'm not going to do without bacon and this is still WAY cheaper (and a whole lot better) than buying store bought. The commercial companies selling bacon are getting hit with the price increases too so this still makes more sense.

Yes sir Robert your bacon looks outstanding!

Thank you Jim!! Appreciate the kind words sir.

Very nice looking bacon - all three of them... What more importantly - it's going to last for a while!

I hope it'll last a while. Tracy has a rejuvenated love affair with BLT's right now so it may not last as long as I'd originally hoped :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks great . That's a bunch of bacon , but I know it goes fast .
Wish I knew more about the celery powder .

I square them off like that also so they fit in a brine bucket, but I save the "off-cuts" for sausage or "burnt ends".

We love having the crumbles around here. Use them on baked taters, in soups, on salads, etc...There are a million things that they can be used for. I've never tried dry brining and what I've done thus far has worked great so I'll probably stick with it. I used to struggle getting the slabs into 12" vac seal bags to cure but I recently read a post from SmokinAl SmokinAl about his Vac Master 360 Pro vac seal machine. It'll handle bags up to 16" so I bought one and a couple rolls of the 16" bags. What a HUGE difference that makes.

Man that is a haul of bacon!! All looks great. I’ll have to check out using celery powder sometime.

I like the celery juice powder. It really adds a nice nuance to the flavor.

A couple of questions ... Skin on or off ? a couple of pics look like they still have skin on ...

I leave the fat cap on. Cut it off once in the beginning and didn't like the finished product. See...I like to fry my eggs in the grease from the bacon and if it's too lean I lose the ability to do that :emoji_wink:

So ... Celery Powder from now on ?? And can there be to much of that for safety standards ??

Yes sir. I am still using the Cure #1 on the heavier flavored slabs just trying to get rid of it but the CJP will be it from now on. The instructions say use it between .025% and .05%. I weigh the slabs in grams and use a multiplier of .0035. That's somewhere in the middle and has worked great.

Robert

That’s gorgeous haul of bellies. Very nice indeed.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the kind words.

Looks great . That's a bunch of bacon , but I know it goes fast .
Wish I knew more about the celery powder .

Thank you Rich. smokin peachey smokin peachey swears by the stuff. It is a natural cure and works great. As I was doing some reading on it, there appears to be a large number of folks using the stuff. It's just as easy as using Cure #1 but lends a different flavor to the meat. I've fallen in love with it.

Robert

Never too much bacon! Great looking cook!!! I have never tried to make the bacon, but your posts sure makes me want to!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky