Inkbird IRF-4S. Very Disappointed. Now I need a new one ASAP. Any suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
Good morning everyone.

I just picked up the Inkbird IRF 4S and I am very disappointed with it. I tested it last night and again this morning. Not only is it difficult to program, the instructions are horrendous, but the oven probe also doesn't work. I am doing an overnight cook on Saturday and this is THE MAIN reason I bought it, to alert me if the temp goes high/low in my Traeger. I bought it from Amazon and will be returning it.

Now my problem is, I need to get a replacement thermometer ASAP (not the same model). My budget is around $75, so I cannot afford to spend the $190-250 on some of those other thermometers that others have suggested. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Daba's BBQ

I have two (2) of these from InkBird and with the correct app (InkBird Plus) they work very well. With the discount it's about $70 and it is true WiFi, not just Bluetooth.

That should do the job. I hope you receive it in time. Let us know how the cook goes.

Reactions: Daba's BBQ
I would reach out to them here as they offer specials often, they probably can help you

If you can go to $100 I would go with the Thermaworks Smoke unit. Its built good. Below that there are several that will do fine. If you can go with the fireboard or Tappacue it will be the last one you buy for many many years. I have had my fireboard for several years and it works great but its a big investment. Also after I got a years or so into it and got good with my pit I stopped using the multiprobe setup and just use an instant read thermometer when it should be close to done and it works great for me.

But everyone has a different way.

Good luck with your search.

If you can go to $100 I would go with the Thermaworks Smoke unit. Its built good. Below that there are several that will do fine. If you can go with the fireboard or Tappacue it will be the last one you buy for many many years. I have had my fireboard for several years and it works great but its a big investment. Also after I got a years or so into it and got good with my pit I stopped using the multiprobe setup and just use an instant read thermometer when it should be close to done and it works great for me.

But everyone has a different way.

Good luck with your search.
I went with the ThermoPro TP28. Amazon had it on sales for $54 delivered

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. As mentioned the probes have to be pushed REALLY hard into the unit.
I hope you have some good luck with the Thermopro. Let us know how it turns out :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
This isn't wi-fi...it's public rf frequencies as in RC toys and garage door openers. But it works anywhere on my 1/4 acre lot which can't be said for anything Bluetooth. So you carry a $9 part in your pocket instead of an expensive cell phone when doing chores. I've had great luck with these cheapies, and the interface keeps improving.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky