Imitation is the sincerest form of-OK fake seafood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
OK, Most of you have read that I am highly allergic to shellfish, basically anything with an exoskeleton like crab, lobster, shrimp, crayfish will send me to the hospital. Luckily these were never my heavy hitter cravings, although I did like having them and doing large lobster bakes used to be a bunch of fun. If the allergy applied to beef or vodka I would not have handled it nearly as good...lol

Anyway, smoking a pork shoulder all day today for Mother's day dinner tomorrow so we needed to eat something good tonight. We decided to do another round of air fried mock crab cakes and Maine lobster rolls.

Started with the crab cakes, I won't go into tremendous detail on this as I posted it before here:

4.jpg

Again made the tarter sauce (added the hot horse radish to mine)
Tarter sauce.jpg

5.jpg

Lobster roll starts out with imitation lobster

1.jpg

Mix in chopped celery, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, mayonnaise, fresh pepper and into the fridge for a couple hours for all the flavors to meld. I did the same with the tarter sauce and crab cake mixture. It just seems to make the flavors more even and intense.
2.jpg

buttered a "keto" bun and toasted them. I know it is not the split top New England buns typically used but I need to cut carbs anyway I can. Did not get a toasted shot but I think you can figure it out.
3.jpg

Plated shot, Was pretty good, even the wife who can eat shellfish approved. Now would I put it up against a fresh lobster roll off the dock in Maine?...probably not. But I have to roll with what I can have. I do think I want to try what they call the "Connecticut" lobster roll that is served warm in melted butter and no mayonnaise????
4.jpg

Thank for putting up with another non smoked post.

Last edited:
Nice.
I don't care for lobster rolls. Just prefer my fish or seafood served hot.
In my younger days (party) I was always requested to bring my hot crab dip. Most of the time it was dungeness crab. When I ran low on crab it was mostly Krab or pollock imitation. Very few tasted the difference.

So glad I don't have a shell creature allergy. Got a great Chinese buffet that serves steamed mussels. Only 2 plates of them today

Reactions: clifish
Nice.
I don't care for lobster rolls. Just prefer my fish or seafood served hot.
In my younger days (party) I was always requested to bring my hot crab dip. Most of the time it was dungeness crab. When I ran low on crab it was mostly Krab or pollock imitation. Very few tasted the difference.

So glad I don't have a shell creature allergy. Got a great Chinese buffet that serves steamed mussels. Only 2 plates of them today
yeah Chinese buffet and most Chinese places are off the table for me. Unless they have a big kitchen to cook separate I am out.

Last edited:
Nice! First time I had a Lobster roll was in Maine at the airport, it caught me off guard, I was expecting it to be hot! Maybe I should try the Connecticut roll? Great diner Cliff! Hope the Pork Butt is going well!

Nice! First time I had a Lobster roll was in Maine at the airport, it caught me off guard, I was expecting it to be hot! Maybe I should try the Connecticut roll? Great diner Cliff! Hope the Pork Butt is going well!
Thanks Jed, I think I would like the warm one better. Have another 8oz of the fake lobster and 4 extra crab cakes so that might be lunch.

Unsure on the PP will update tomorrow.

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great! I don't really care for Connecticut rolls. Just not enough going on with it. But, I've done lobster rolls and just warmed up the filling so it wasn't cold. Makes a huge difference IMHO. I've requested them like that in Maine before. And I got the impression that they had those requests before. Now I'm thinking about having one!

Reactions: clifish and bauchjw
Now that's how you improvise, adapt, and overcome!! Excellent way to enjoy what you like and not compromise your health in the process. Way to go Cliff...and fret not about posting stuff that's not smoked. This forum has become an invaluable asset for many different types of cooking. Let's be honest...how many briskets, pork butts, or racks of ribs do you want to see? Sure, they are still amazing to look at but the variety of food showcased here is off the charts amazing and it's posts like yours tht continue what I consider to be a very positive trend. Keep 'em coming!!

Robert

Looks good Cliff, Being a cigarette smoker I have a hard time telling the difference between the different types of imitation shell fish meats.

Point for sure
Chris

The best way to have a lobster roll is on a toasted New England split top bun with a cold filling.

Thanks for all the comments and likes, I do appreciate the feedback. There might be another PP thread posted today (first one for me) and depending on how it turns out when we eat it it could be a good post or a "what happened post"...lol

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks great to me as well! No allergies here but easier to find the imitation docks here in the Midwest than the docks on the ocean...plus cheaper!

Ryan

Looks delish. I really dont mind fake crab. I used to eat it a lot. My better half gets a wiggy about it. BUT-I bet 100 bucks if she didnt know she would love it.

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky