i want to make a sauce with smoked Japs and Tomoatos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
I had some extra jalapenos and cherry tomatoes (yellow and red) from the garden. so i decided to smoke them with a pork loin that i was making.  my original intent was to dehydrate them to make a spicy tomato rub...but it was taking forever to dehydrate so i scratched that idea.

i'm thinking of making a sauce with it..any ideas on what to do for a good sauce? Puree them and put in vinegar and simmer?

I'd appreciate any suggestions....

a bit of sugar or honey goes a long way with hot peppers and tomato.

I would clean the peppers removing as much membrane and seed as you like.  Chop tomatos fine and place in a pot with the Japs or Habs.  Add some chopped onion, a bit of garlic, vinegar, sugar and or honey, maybe some bellpepper if you like. Let cook till translucent and you have a bit of moisture drawn.   Put in a bit of sure jell or gelatin to give it some body so it sticks to the meat.

I wouldn't char or brown any of the vegs, you are looking for a quick jam like sauce.  I love it on any type of meat or sandwich that needs a kick.

Good luck,

let me know if you decide to do this.

Al

Al X2 Maybe some Oregano, Cilantro and Sazon to taste with a squeeze of Lime if you are in to the Cuban thing...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky