I need tuning suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the1pearson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
Central Florida
I recently finished my new build: a 150 gallon, direct flow propane tank conversion.  I'm having temp inconsistency problems. I looked at a prior thread on some great mods and thought I had it licked but the temps are still inconsistent. 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/g/a/240107/pearson-build-bowtie-bbq/  

The end closest to the firebox, Therm 1 runs 200-240 degrees

The middle Therm 2 runs 250-350 degrees

The far end Therm 3 runs 140-180 degrees.  

I initially did a mod and lowered the stack inside the grill to the lower grate level, hoping temps would stabilize. They did go up to the higher levels shown but the range of the values is still off. I want to move the heat to the other end of the tank.  

My Smoke Chamber = 24 inch diameter, 14 inch height, volume is V=πr^2h= 3.14(144)(14)= 6330cuin or 3.14(1)1.2)=3.77cuft. I cut the tank to use one end as my smoke chamber but when I used the firebox calculator it said my FB was 60 percent, so I recognize its undersized but is there anything you can suggest to raise and/even out the temps?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky