How to smoke a B.A. chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swampwolf

Original poster
May 1, 2011
So my wife went to Kroger's and bought this big ass chicken (7 pounds) and says she wants this for mothers day. Of course to me that means smoked! I do not want to brine it as every time I brine chicken or turkey the meat comes out soft and mushy. I already have an idea for the rub, and there will be no stuffing in the B.A.C. I'm thinking 250 dig. for 7 hours (1 hour per pound) I have a water smoker so I'm thinking apple juice, with hickory wood for smoke. Breast side down for the first 2 hours.  The best chicken that I belive I have ever made was beer can chicken in a gas grill with wood chips, not sure if you can do that in a Brinkmann water smoker! Thanks for any help, just looking to keep it simple !

i do the beer can chicken on the smoker.. I like to run my temp in the 300 to 330F range that way it will crisp the skin.. You don't benefit much with chicken at a low temp.. It should not take long to cook that bird.. Good luck and happy smoking.

Tyotrain is correct,go to the hot side of your Smoker and do it. A little butter under the skin ot the breast would help crisp the skin.If you Spatcock the bird, remember to flatten it out,cook bone side first and then flip the last part of the smoke.IMHO, Beercan is best and done this way the skin gets nice color and crispiness.Send Q-view of it
drool.gif

Have fun and,

Thanks so much for the info,I will go beer can, it will fit in my brinkman water smoker if i put it on the bottom grate just above the water pan at 300 to 330 range, what do you think for a 7 pound bird am I looking at for smoking (time), tyotrain  said it  will not take long to cook this bird, so I guess I'm not looking at 7 hours? Thanks again guys!!

you have some great advice
 if i put it on the bottom grate just above the water pan   
Remember NOT  to put water in the pan, Water in the pan helps keep the meat juicy, But makes the skin rubbery.

Hope this helps

The cook time will probably be around 4 hours or so. Remember to put a potato or onion in the neck to seal the top. That way the steam from the beer will penetrate the inside of the chicken & keep it real moist.

Last edited:
The cook time will probably be around 4 hours or so. Remember to put a potato or onion in the neck to seal the top. That way the steam from the beer will penetrate the inside of the chicken & keep it real moist.
I agree. I was thinking around the 4 hour mark as well. I did 9 turkeys for Thanksgiving last year and they were around the 12-15 lb mark and they were all done at around 5-6 hours and that was running the smoker around 250 degrees.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky