How to get nice glaze on ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sharptailhunter

Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I'm trying to get a good moist glaze on my ribs, but not saucey. Like the ones in this thread: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=14558

Is that just from the sugar in the rub? Or, is it from mopping them with something? I want to do kind of sweet ribs using apricot wood so I thought a sweet glaze would go well with em. So far all I get are some really dark, dry ribs. Am I using too much smoke maybe?

it looks like they might have some barbecue sauce on em i use jeffs rib rub and oh man thats some good stuff then about an hour before i pull them out i will mop them with sauce, if you put it on to early the sauce will burn and turn black and be hard if you put it on once an hour before you pull them they will have a really nice glaze watch your temp close and always trust your meat thermometer i smoke mine at 225 degrees for 6-7 hours and pull them when internal temp is 175 degrees sometimes it only takes 5 hours you just have to watch them

ya a good bbq mop will get your ribs looking like that-I stay away from sugars as sugar burns-a good sauce like baby rays with beer works

try 1 cup balsamic vinegar with a half cup of honey or pure maple syrup and a 1/4 stick of butter then brush it on heavy every 15 min. for an hour and they should look like these ones
5afcee18_vbattach17226.jpg

Do you use a spray? three parts apple juice mixed with one part Captain Morgan's spiced rum or JD and sprayed on the meat every so often will give it a nice bark...Just my 2 cents worth...Experiment!!!!

Steve

This is cheating a little but sometime I will pull the ribs out put them on the gas grill on med heat and use my favorite glaze or sauce to finish off. This part only takes about 15 minutes.

I use a spritz of apple juice (or cider), a healthy dose of whiskey (For me and the spritz), a good shot of pure maple sugar and a dash of vinegar. You have to play with the amounts till you find what you like and works for you, gives nice color and a bit of sheen.

When you mop on the sauce is this done during the final hour of the 3-2-1 method of cooking ribs? I want to cook some country style ribs tomorrow and was wondering.

Dawgg

In the last hour of the 3-2-1 I lay on a moderate coat of apple sauce and honey mixed into a nice paste, not runny.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky