How to check accuracy of my thermometer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt darsow, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I know i seen this somewhere but cant seem to find it. I just got a Brinkman Vertical yesterday, want to check the accuracy of my thermometer thats in the door. Can someone remind me of how to do this? Please and thank you.

2. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Take it off the lid.....check in boiling water which is 212 degrees unless in Colorado or another mountain top....calibrate, if possible...Willie

3. Great thanks Willie!!

4. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Matt , being the "Anal" one , I would and 'do' use two or three other thermometers to make sure my Therm is correct.

It's a PITA , but I use a glass candy Therm. , one of my ET732's and my Thermopen to make sure My temp.is right. I even used a Fever Therm. to check one time ( took water to 100*F and stuck the probe in).

If you keep a log , you can record the temps. for the day and keep track of your therms. better.

Have fun and . . .

5. Thanks, thats a great idea. I want to invest in a couple good probe setups. But seeing as though i just spent a good amount of money, those might have to wait a month or two. Lol. Did the boiling water test on the one that is built into door. Looks pretty close, good enough until i invest in something better. I actually took the one off of my little char broil and installed it at the level of my lower rack so i could know the temperature difference... i might be a little anal too. Hahaha. Ideal, id like to have 3 toatal 😀

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014