How much wood for whole hog pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
It's been a decade at least since I've done a whole hog. But I've got some coming up for Christmas, and I'm doing some planning now. I've searched high and low but can't find an answer for this. I'm trying to figure out if a half cord of wood would be enough or I should get a full cord. I'll be doing it on a cinder block pit, ~100 lb pig, all wood no charcoal. Thanks for any advice.

Enough to cook he pig done. :emoji_wink: :emoji_grin:
I would think 1/2 cord is more than enough. Do you burn your wood separate and shovel the coals into the pit with the pig?

Warren

What time frame do you think it will take to cook 100 lb pig? You have a cover on the pit?

Warren
Yep, got a cover/hood for it. As for time, as long as it takes for it to be ready ;) In all seriousness I’m not sure. I’m counting on at least 12 hours, but giving myself 16 just in case.

I hope you're talking face cord, not full cords. I would plan on 12-14 hours depending on how you're cooking it.

Offset or shoveled coals directly underneath animal?

Are your blocks sealed/suuper level and without any gaps between blocks and filled with sand?

I can run my 32x64 or whatever it is on one or maybe 2 splits per hour after it's warmed, but it's sealed super tight. When it wasn't I was going adding 2-4 splits every 10-15 mins. It was a nightmare.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky