How much weight it lost from curing and smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kyleblun

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 25, 2021
If I want to end up with 2 pounds of cured smoked bacon how much should the raw meat weigh before curing and smoking? I am dry curing and hot smoking till internal temp is 150f.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Good question. I always weigh the belly pieces, then calculate the cure ingredients, and weigh them out... but I've never weighed out the finished bacon.

Reactions: ConrodM
Here’s today’s Loss after dry curing since 11/27/23. Got it on the smoker now & will weigh again after smoking.

Attachments

• IMG_9850.png
    IMG_9850.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 36
Mine pulled around 8% out after dry curing only. I use a vacuum sealer to make flipping easier and possibly pull the cure into the meat faster. There’s always plenty of juices that come from the meat while I’m curing. This one went 11 days but I usually just go 5-7 days

16-19% total loss this experiment . So for 2 #’s of net bacon (using my method and Costco Swift belly) I would just add 20% to be conservative. Need 10#’s of sliced bacon? I’ll buy a 12# belly. Thanks for the question/post as I have not considered this before

Stick burner- avg temp was 212 f. Pulled 1st 1/2 belly at 2-hrs 15 mins and 2nd 1/2 at 2 hrs 40 mins. Both were pulled at 151 IMT at Thickest point

Disregard- duplicate

Stick burner- avg temp was 212 f. Pulled 1st 1/2 belly at 2-hrs 15 mins and 2nd 1/2 at 2 hrs 40 minutes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky