How much do you pay for your butts?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rio_grande

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
INDIANA
I saw a sale at Kroger butts for .99lb, Good price I think. How long will the butts keep in the freezer?

That's a good price. Sam's Club here has had them for $1.49 recently. I wrap in plastic wrap, then in butcher paper and have had them be just fine after 8 months in the freezer.

for sure a good price.
I have paid as high as 1.69 when pork prices were
up and I had to make sausage for orders I had.
I buy mine from local butcher and he always gives them to me
just a little over cost and they are always very nice butts.

The rule in our house growing up was pork in a non-frost-free freezer is good for minimum 6 months.

Fortunately, it never made that long anyway.

In a frost free freezer, maybe a bit shorter? More risk of freezer burn.

.99 here at a local small store. I vac seal them and they are good for a long time. I just got a chuckie out that was there since 07 (got lost in the bottom of freezer
icon_evil.gif
) and it tasted just like a fresh one off a cow
biggrin.gif

I get them for .99 cents a lb on sale most of the time

most of the time I buy on sale .99lb @ cash and carry. They are vacuumed pack in twos. Cases average 45 to 50lbs if I'm feeling real piggy i'll just grab a case, easier to carry
biggrin.gif

On sale, 99 cents otherwise price be 1.68 fer butss, shoulder runs bout a dime less. When they have a sale, an it ain't very offen, I stock up, usually a 100 pounds er more. Can get a shoulder sometimes on clearence cheap.

Well with a pending 60lb of sausage to grind and case (as soon as I decide on a grinder) and the up coming cooking season I went with 85 lb, if the check book will allow I will pick up a couple more 2 packs on the way home tomorrow.. These were fresh and had not been frozen. Norrmal price is $1.89 so almost half price. I tossed one in the fridge marinating to go in the smoke tomorow!!

Pretty happy I found this!!

Since I reside in an area that has plenty of markets that cater to the Hispanic community, I've been able to catch butts on sale for $.88 lb. Most times the larger chains have their sale @ $.99 lb. Also according to the FoodSaver book, storage life for beef, pork, lamb and poultry is 2-3 years.

around the 2 dollar range everywhere I have looked in Oregon. I was quick to pick up some buts when I saw them on sale for 1.20

Almost everyone around has shoulders on sale for .99 lb this week. The last time I bought butts it was either 1.29 or 1.79 lb (can't remember).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky