how many of you started your seeds for this gardening season? (Pics and some reading sorry)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
Just like the title says, how many of you started your seeds for this gardening season?

I just got mine started last Tuesday and I already have about 80-90% germination rate with the tomatoes! I highly recommend if you need to order seeds to go through ww.migardener.com ... that's where I get my seeds from now on and I haven't had a bad batch yet. Luke( owner of migardener) started as just a hobbyist, making YouTube videos (that's how I find him) about gardening and as his channel grew he saw more and more potential. he eventually opened his seed shop and is growing bigger and bigger every year. One thing that is cool about his seed shop is, all seeds( well 99.9%) is just $0.99 for a pack! This is from his website " All our seeds are sourced from small family seed farms throughout the United States and are grown and packed with pride. We never sell GMO seeds and have always prided ourselves in offering the highest quality heirloom and organically grown seeds possible. All our seeds are packed in-house and packed in packets printed and manufactured here in the U.S. using 100% post consumer waste paper." He has a couple videos about them being only $0.99, and basically his view is that he wants everyone to be able to get affordable Good seeds to garden with and not have to pay the big corporations $$ for the same thing. Now you only get like 25 seeds per pack but the fact is at a 80% successful germination rate, that's 20 plants for $0.99 which as a home gardener, 20 of one type of plant/ tomato is a lot! Lets say you plant 20 tomato plants and each produces 5 lbs worth of tomatoes( which isn't a lot) that's 100 lbs worth of tomatoes for only $0.99. I'm not paid, partnered or have any type of connection with him expect for just watching his videos and buying seeds from his store, but I still want to see him succeed.

Here's my set up:
seeds3.jpg

seeds4.jpg

its literally just PVC pipe for the framing and two 4ft t8 fluorescent light fixtures with 6500k bulbs

I keep the set-up roughly between 4 and 6 inches away for the plants( a hand's width) so they don't "burn" but yet close enough that they get the most intense light that the set-up can produce

tomatoes:
seeds2.jpg
seeds.jpg

I have 200 cells planted, 7 types of tomatoes, and 4 types of peppers( including ghost). Pepper plants always take longer to germinate but I'm expecting them to pop this week some time. I know 200 plants is a lot, but I always give away a lot of them and its better to plant more than you need anyway. this 200 cell flat is strictly for just starting the plants and will be replaced with bigger cells in a week or two. But this is a super simple and fairly cheap set up, if you are looking into getting into seed starting for your own garden.

Let me see what you all have going on with your set up and what you have started!

-Smokinq

Reactions: Will Squared
Looking Good, I didn't do that this year, I've had my onions planted and put out some beet, spinach and carrot seeds last week.

Gary

I planted my plants already, but I do live in south Louisiana. Tomatoes, poblano peppers, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, and snap beans seeds - as well as starting my cucumber seeds. I have to start early, as the scorching heat will be here before you know!

I planted my plants already, but I do live in south Louisiana. Tomatoes, poblano peppers, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, and snap beans seeds - as well as starting my cucumber seeds. I have to start early, as the scorching heat will be here before you know!
i want to try some poblanos some time, I'm in zone 6, really Zone 6B, so I got at least another month before anything can go in the ground

Nice prices. Just tried to order stuff from them but at the end of check out it asks for coupon code and doesn't check me out with that code which I don't have. Weird....
that is weird... did you find a code that you were trying to use? cuase if not its just like checking out anywhere else online that you can skip that part. I know I ran into some problems with putting in my card info. but I realized I would put my info in and then clicked "credit card" or whatever it says( to pay with a card) and all my info would get deleted so once you put the info in just hit place order

Nope, didn't have any codes.... Just placed items in the cart, created an account with them, entered all required information and after last step - credit card information - it didn't allow me to check out.... Will tray again later....

Nope, didn't have any codes.... Just placed items in the cart, created an account with them, entered all required information and after last step - credit card information - it didn't allow me to check out.... Will tray again later....
sounds like you did what I did at first... Just try and go through steps 1- 4 and once you put your information in for payment, just hit place order... it should go through unless something else is going on

Nice!!! I too found migardender via YouTube and he is so knowledgeable. I didn't realize he had a seed shop. I didn't plan on planting anything from seed this year because all of the sunny spots in our house are very easily accessible by our curious 'will-eat-everything-including-dirt' toddler. Wishing I had thought to do something like your set -up. What kind of companion planting are you doing? I'm new to all of this so trying to decide what to plant next to my tomato starts.

Reactions: smokinq13
I use dbl cups for starting seeds I have my peppers starting to show and 1 tomatillo so far
Richie

Nice!!! I too found migardender via YouTube and he is so knowledgeable. I didn't realize he had a seed shop. I didn't plan on planting anything from seed this year because all of the sunny spots in our house are very easily accessible by our curious 'will-eat-everything-including-dirt' toddler. Wishing I had thought to do something like your set -up. What kind of companion planting are you doing? I'm new to all of this so trying to decide what to plant next to my tomato starts.
So I haven't gotten that far to how i'm laying out my garden this year. I went from not going to have a garden, to maybe have a small one, to having a small one, to maybe a large one, to okay its gonna be a large one... reason being is I didn't know how far along our house/land was going to be but for the fact that the actual house is being moved to the land tomorrow! and if not set up then or on the scheduled date of 24th, i believe I'll have time. as for everything I'm planting, I'm doing the basics, tomatoes, peppers, beans, greens, some tubers( things that grow under ground), squashes and maybe corn maybe. This will be the first time having a garden up there so there's going to be a lot to learn with it. especially since we are in a mountain, meaning wildlife, meaning deer. I actually placed another order from migardener right after posting this for more seeds, mainly flowers and herbs. Deer having a strong sense of smell, don't like smelly plants, what we might find pleasant like basil, lavender, marigolds etc just things that smell. So I'm going to be planting these through out the garden and on the perimeter trying to deter them from going into it. Also a lot of these have other benefits like bringing in pollinators and being able to actually use them.

tomatoes are fairly communal, meaning they can be planted next to anything really, as long as they don't fight with each other for light, water or food( nutrients). I would say plant flowers among your vegs. to attach bugs in. Marigolds are very good at bringing in ladybugs which will help with aphids.

also its not too late to start! if you wanna

Reactions: Will Squared
Got the planting seed pun without having to read the hint.
My seed is 1993 and 1995.
Good one Bear.
Figured out I was born 40 weeks after significant event. Next time Mom said Happy Birthday, I said Happy Valentine's Day. She blushed.

I'm just about ready to start my seeds. Got over 2 months before the tender stuff goes in the ground.
I'll start my peppers (mostly Asian variety) first.
I'll start my eggplant in early April.
Armenian and conventional cucumber as well as summer squash get started in late April.
I get my tomato from local greenhouse. Always had good luck from their selection.

The hooved rats will eat my crop to the ground if I didn't have a fence around the garden.
I live in town?
Bottom 2 feet is chicken wire to stop the rabbits and 3 strands of electric to stop the raccoons and deer.

I'm 3 weeks late with my maders. Mine are raised from last years fruit. I will see them sprout in 4 to 6 days as a norm. My oldest heirloom stems back to the 1950's, when it came into the USA. But we don't know how much farther back it goes. Here is a pic of average sizes for this heirloom.

Attachments

• IMG_20160819_190227516.jpg
    IMG_20160819_190227516.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Bearcarver
I'm 3 weeks late with my maders. Mine are raised from last years fruit. I will see them sprout in 4 to 6 days as a norm. My oldest heirloom stems back to the 1950's, when it came into the USA. But we don't know how much farther back it goes. Here is a pic of average sizes for this heirloom.

Nice Sammy Size @ better than 5" Diameter!!:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Like.

Bear

Reactions: olecrosseyes
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky