How Do I Get Rid of These Armadillos?!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seenred

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 9, 2009
N.E. Oklahoma
I’m sure someone here has had similar problems. Something is utterly destroying our yard! Digging holes Everywhere! There are dozens of holes, growing more by the night. We suspected armadillos, and the suspicion was confirmed when Mrs. Red was driving out at 5 am a couple mornings ago…and saw the culprit. Sure enough - an armadillo was rooting in the yard.

Any of you guys have a sure method - beyond sitting up all night with my .22 - of getting rid of these destructive pests?

TIA,

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
Eliminate the food source. They feed on grubs and other insects in the soil, mainly.

Reactions: seenred
I’m in the sit up and blow their heads off camp
That works, too, I reckon lol. but eliminating the food attracting them is probably a better approach unless you want them to keep coming in as target fodder.

Not familiar with armadillos, being in Colorado. But I've heard some guys from Texas talking about an armadillo repellent before. Not sure if it's like repells all, or even how well it works. But may be worth looking into. If not. I like the .22 idea lol.

Moles and rats digging around are one thing. I'd gopher hawk those bastards, but armadillos... those guys are super cute! I'd be shooting them with a camera more like.

I'm sure I'd feel differently if it were my yard... maybe. Probably... when I had skunks I felt the same way. Those guys are cute too, but one has to defend their property... Anyhow, Grub killer would work, I'd think.

Did you know that besides digging in and locking themselves in place, one of their escape/evasion tactics is to jump straight up when surprised/alarmed.
And they can jump up to several feet high too.

I vote for extermination as they're an invasive species, and their burrowing can be both destructive and dangerous.

Oh yeah, they're edible and supposedly tasty.
Anyone have a Smoked Dillo recipe?

Last edited:
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Did you know that besides digging in and locking themselves in place, one of their escape/evasion tactics is to jump straight up when surprised/alarmed.

I vote for extermination as they're a invasive species, and their burrowing can be both destructive and dangerous.

Oh yeah, they're edible and supposedly tasty.
Also they are the only mammal besides humans in America that can carry leprosy. Just throwing that out there. I don’t go soft on varmits. We pulled up in our carport several years ago when the kids were young and had a crazy acting possum standing there. Couldn’t shoot it so I told the family to stay in the truck and I got out and beat it to death with a shovel. I like violence

Also they are the only mammal besides humans in America that can carry leprosy. Just throwing that out there. I don’t go soft on varmits. We pulled up in our carport several years ago when the kids were young and had a crazy acting possum standing there. Couldn’t shoot it so I told the family to stay in the truck and I got out and beat it to death with a shovel. I like violence

Oh, wow. I take it all back! Naive Californian has become informed Californian. Death to `dillo.

Here's my vote.

.....Incendiary devices optional....

Tannerite makes for one hell of a fun afternoon!

Used to "mountain bike" at Little Big Econ here in Florida. Mountain bike in quotes because it's Florida. There's hills of sugar sand.

And Little Big Econ has to be the stupedist name for anything.....

Anyway, we'd round a corner on the trail and them lil SOBs would jump like 4 feet straight up. Took a couple to the waist, chest, and shoulder area. Sometimes they'd get trapped between the front and rear wheels and were too stupid to peel off to either side. They'd just run between the wheels until we kicked them to the side.

Supposed to be decent eating but as mentioned, Leprosery. I'll pass, thank you.

I'll add, not sure if you have pets but I'd worry about any disease transfer also.

SSS for safe measure.

Reactions: JLeonard and TNJAKE
problem with grub-ex here is NY (commiefornia east) has weakened it so it is a waste. I have gophers tunneling all over my property, I will have to see if the PA version is better?

problem with grub-ex here is NY (commiefornia east) has weakened it so it is a waste. I have gophers tunneling all over my property, I will have to see if the PA version is better?
Milky spore is a biologic that actually works on grubs. It does take application over several years for the bacteria to become numerous enough to make a difference. Should be available even in commiefornia like states. Sevin (Carbaryl) also kills the bastages if you can still get it.

Basically rats with a hard shell? Didn't get past the Ohio River when I lived in lower Indiana.

.....electric fence....about 4" off the ground....around the perimeter.
Incendiary devices optional....
Electric fence is a great deterrent. My garden in MN is protected from the suburban residents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky