Houston I think we have a (GMB DB) problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Brian, I agree, you spend a lot of money and get Cheap Chinese crap. I had four issues with mine from new. Latest one was paint peeling off the grease tray, was told by Darren, that some times it a hand print when they are sprayed that leaves grease. Solution, wire brush it and spray it with BBQ paint!

Good to see you up and running and look forward to seeing some great Qing.

Smokin Monkey

Thanks Mr monkey
I have sent similar email to ABBQ so let's see how Darren relies.
What about your temp increments are they 5 or 1 degree?
If you still have issues there is always higher levels in the food chain

Yeah thought so! What's going, on surely they should all be the same? No response from Darren @ ABBQ as yet
icon_confused.gif

Ran the GMG again last night this time with 2 spatchcocked chickens and it performed well enough, it did all the right things and the smell was amazing! I set the rig to 120 but it kept bouncing between 122 to 123, is that normal (it was raining a little but I was under cover)? Cooked for 3.5 hours watching internal temp rise but I made a rookie mistake! Near the end of the cook the IT temp was stalling so I put the heat up to 130 and then 150 for the last half hour but didn't foil tent the chickens so they ended up a little dirty. They would have also benefitted from 15 minutes in a hot grill to crisp the skin but we were starving so we tucked in at 10 pm last night. Flavour was good and they were tender but the skin was crap which unfortunately was where the Smokey flavour was.

Thanks Wade followed your instruction but obviously not to the letter, just me being impatient

Hi Guys,

Just an update, had the call from Darren at ABBQ and no the controller shouldn't move in 5 degree increments just 1's so another one is winging its way to me. He also confirmed that fluctuations 5 degrees either side of the set temp is normal. Give him his due he has asked for the old one back so he can investigate
icon_confused.gif

By way of an apology they are sending me a full GMG care kit with all of the bits that could go wrong in future so again great customer service
bravo.png
 He did say that the items do come to him in a box so they have no way of confirming function, so I think Darren is tearing his hair out at times too.
icon_biggrin.gif

Glad you got it sorted.

The grill will try and keep the steady temperature, but it will fluctuate a few degrees either side.

Not tried it myself, but has any one checked a domestic kitchen oven with a Maverick, to see how stable the temperature is? Just a thought. We expect our grills to hit set temperature and stay there. Even the best ovens in the world will fluctuate.

Everyone thinks chicken is easy to cook! Low and Slow will always produce Rubbery Skin. Hot grill will help with this.

Smokin Monkey

You're not wrong but by these mistakes and problems I am learning loads

Hi Steve/Wade et al

Just got the 2nd new controller from Darren at ABBQ and they have sent me an upgraded WiFi unit as a sorry
drool.gif

They have also sent a care kit with new probe, probe door cover and low pellet alarm. So cannot fault them on their customer service it is second to none.

Just have to fit it now and play around with it but any advice or do's and don'ts on the WiFi unit jobbies?

Good news Brian. I chatted with Darren yesterday and he said he thought that he had managed to get you sorted at last 
icon14.gif

The main advice regarding the Wifi is to use it and play with the program features. They are great 
biggrin.gif

My understanding from Darren at ABBQC is that they all come with Wifi as standard now

Hi Wade/Steve and the guy's

I believe I have solved the mystery of the GMG DB Controller moving in 5 degree increments. see below (printed the whole thing as I know Wade likes to read the full thing for comparison LOL!). It would appear the ABBQ may have mixed controller stock meant for other countries. In this case New Zealand. I have let Darren know, I hope it helps him
icon_smile.gif

The Daniel Boone WiFi Grill comes with a digital control, a meat probe, a peaked lid for stand-up chicken/ large fowl/ rib racks, a convenience tray with utensil hooks, hard rubber tires, a venturi-style firebox for cyclone combustion, and the convenience of setting and monitoring your grill from an accepted WiFi device.

It also has Sense-Mate, a circuit-board-mounted thermal sensor which measures ambient temperature and kicks the grill into turbo mode in cold weather so that you do not have to wait long for the grill to heat up in winter. 

Other features include a positive pressure hopper fan to prevent burn-back, fan only mode with automatic shut-off to blow ash out of the firebox after you finish grilling, a 69 x 42cms stainless steel grate, and 34cm clearance inside.

Features  

• Digital Controller: Control your grill’s temperature from 66°-260°C in 5° increments. From smoke to sear, you will have unparalleled accuracy, winter or summer.
  • Meat Probe: Just plug the probe into the jack on the controller, put it through the access hole in the side of the grill, and insert into the meat. Push the Food button on the controller, and it will 
  • immediately display the internal temperature of the meat you’re grilling.
  • Efficient Firebox: The firebox has vertical grooves cut evenly on its sides so that the air whirlwinds around the fire and gives much more complete combustion due to increased air circulation. This cyclone effect means more efficient pellet usage.
  • Thermal Sensor: Maintain a constant internal temperature year round with a Green Mountain Grill. Your grill will come equipped with an internal thermal sensor that regulates the temperature by adjusting air and pellet flow to maintain a constant internal temperature. Enjoy grilling all year long!
  • Durable Baked-on Finish: Our Green Mountain Grills have a great, long-lasting paint job.
  • Peaked Lid: The peaked lid lets you cook a turkey or a beer-can chicken without the cover touching it.
  • Sense-Mate Dual Program Control: Circuit-board-mounted sensor reads outside air temperature and sends computer program into turbo mode so that you won’t have to wait long for the grill to get up to temperature when it is very cold outside. Perfect for winter grilling!
  • Low-Pellet Alarm: When the pellet level gets down toward the bottom of the hopper, the grill sounds an alarm to let you know so that you can have uninterrupted grilling.
  • Front Casters: Locking front casters make moving your grill a breeze!
  • Use with Green Mountain Premium Blend Pellets
  • Model GMG-DB

- See more at: http://www.bbqsandmore.co.nz/daniel...smoker-wifi-enabled.html#sthash.NIbKKa9Z.dpuf

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky