Hot dog redemption

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zachyweezer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 30, 2022
I wasted no time in making another small batch.
20230617_102809.jpg

I upped my fat content from 30% to 40% and did only a double grind. Once through a 1/2 inch and then once more through what I believe is a 3mm plate.
20230617_112844.jpg

20230617_112902.jpg

Before and after...
20230616_161716.jpg

20230617_114146.jpg

20230617_151308.jpg

At this point, I chilled in the fridge, added my spices, powdered milk, rusk, and mixed.
Now we stuff.
20230617_154049.jpg

Everything stuffed nicely. Added water conservatively.
20230618_094339.jpg

The above pic was taken the next morning. I allowed to dry for 45mins or so with no smoke. I then smoked for a couple of hours at 150, bumped incrementally to 170, and pulled with an IT of 153. Here she is after an ice bath.
20230618_131030.jpg

After an ice bath and a little hanging, we will fry a couple up.

20230618_132016.jpg

Very, very happy with the results. Juicy, succulent.....fatty as hell, all that stuff. Lol. I understand the fat content might be a little much for some, but we are not eating these everyday.

I'm no science minded guy and didn't really do a legit "experiment" to determine why my last batch pales in comparison to this one. I didn't do a triple grind here, which may have kept the meat from having been over worked. I'm inclined to believe, however, that the extra fat got me where I wanted.

Thanks to everyone. This is a pretty great place.

Attachments

• 20230617_102809.jpg
    20230617_102809.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230618_131030.jpg
    20230618_131030.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230616_161716.jpg
    20230616_161716.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230617_112902.jpg
    20230617_112902.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230617_112844.jpg
    20230617_112844.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230617_112902.jpg
    20230617_112902.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230616_161716.jpg
    20230616_161716.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230617_112902.jpg
    20230617_112902.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 6
I wasted no time in making another small batch.
View attachment 668232
I upped my fat content from 30% to 40% and did only a double grind. Once through a 1/2 inch and then once more through what I believe is a 3mm plate.
View attachment 668233
View attachment 668253

Before and after...
View attachment 668239
View attachment 668238
View attachment 668236
At this point, I chilled in the fridge, added my spices, powdered milk, rusk, and mixed.
Now we stuff.
View attachment 668237
Everything stuffed nicely. Added water conservatively.
View attachment 668241
The above pic was taken the next morning. I allowed to dry for 45mins or so with no smoke. I then smoked for a couple of hours at 150, bumped incrementally to 170, and pulled with an IT of 153. Here she is after an ice bath.
View attachment 668243
After an ice bath and a little hanging, we will fry a couple up.

View attachment 668244

Very, very happy with the results. Juicy, succulent.....fatty as hell, all that stuff. Lol. I understand the fat content might be a little much for some, but we are not eating these everyday.

I'm no science minded guy and didn't really do a legit "experiment" to determine why my last batch pales in comparison to this one. I didn't do a triple grind here, which may have kept the meat from having been over worked. I'm inclined to believe, however, that the extra fat got me where I wanted.

Thanks to everyone. This is a pretty great place.
Was your last batch an issue where it seemed to dense of a bite? I made a batch of hotdogs and that was my issue and esp after freeze, thaw and cook cycle it was just not a soft bite like I’d hoped and I triple ground on an 1/8 plate and had 30% fat… some suggested more water …. Overmixed/worked I haven’t tried it since but I’d really like a solid batch to figure out what I did wrong

Reactions: zachyweezer
yCsZjMq.jpg

I've moved on from the emulsification step, now my preferred grind size for hot dogs is similar to yours... this batch was in the 25% to 30% range. I've never used the cellulose peel-to-eat casings, what size are you using?

Was your last batch an issue where it seemed to dense of a bite? I made a batch of hotdogs and that was my issue and esp after freeze, thaw and cook cycle it was just not a soft bite like I’d hoped and I triple ground on an 1/8 plate and had 30% fat… some suggested more water …. Overmixed/worked I haven’t tried it since but I’d really like a solid batch to figure out what I did wrong
that was my problem exactly. i had the same fat content as you and had also done a triple grind through a 1/8 plate. it was a bit dense, but not in a way that was offensive. i was mostly disappointed at how lean the bite was. it's bizarre considering 30% is usually the sweet spot for most of my batches.

i'd suggest doing just a double grind, and if that doesn't give you the results you're looking for, up the fat a bit. the truth is, in terms of how the texture appears when sliced, i can tell little difference between this batch and the last one. i think after the second grind you get diminishing returns, and possibly a denser product.

and, like another guy pointed out in the last thread, when meat and fat are emulsified, the fat is distributed more evenly, making a very different experience for the person eating. honestly, it would be interesting to go back and do the triple grind again (although i really don't think it's necessary after today) but with a higher fat content. it would give me closure. lol. good luck!

Reactions: slavikborisov
View attachment 668303
I've moved on from the emulsification step, now my preferred grind size for hot dogs is similar to yours... this batch was in the 25% to 30% range. I've never used the cellulose peel-to-eat casings, what size are you using?
hey there. the cellulose casings are a pleasure to work with. they're super strong for twisting links and a easy to peel off when ready to package. mine are 25mm diameter.

Reactions: thirdeye and jbo_c
And one more question.... have you tried spiralizing your skinless dogs? And do they hold up well?
View attachment 668304
i've yet to try that! i typically do mine in a skillet. i'll warm them up slowly and crank the heat a little at the end for some blister. honestly though, i think they'd hold up fine.

that was my problem exactly. i had the same fat content as you and had also done a triple grind through a 1/8 plate. it was a bit dense, but not in a way that was offensive. i was mostly disappointed at how lean the bite was. it's bizarre considering 30% is usually the sweet spot for most of my batches.

i'd suggest doing just a double grind, and if that doesn't give you the results you're looking for, up the fat a bit. the truth is, in terms of how the texture appears when sliced, i can tell little difference between this batch and the last one. i think after the second grind you get diminishing returns, and possibly a denser product.

and, like another guy pointed out in the last thread, when meat and fat are emulsified, the fat is distributed more evenly, making a very different experience for the person eating. honestly, it would be interesting to go back and do the triple grind again (although i really don't think it's necessary after today) but with a higher fat content. it would give me closure. lol. good luck!
Yeah I made a post about it last year someone also suggested increasing the water content as well but I’ll have to really experiment with it.. I’ll try the method you chose and see how it goes thanks for posting !!

Alright, got my interest back up. Going to order some cellulose casings and do this hotdog thing. It's pretty much supposed to rain all week anyhow, so I should have plenty of free time.

Alright, got my interest back up. Going to order some cellulose casings and do this hotdog thing. It's pretty much supposed to rain all week anyhow, so I should have plenty of free time.
Cellulose are the way to go in my opinion the dogs pop right out after cold bath giving you a nice skinless hotdog

I have no problem at all using natural casings, but some eaters around here prefer skinless dogs.
Once you work with cellulose casings you will be spoiled with how easy they are to use hahahaha.
The only drawback is that you basically have to commit to stuffing and smoking.

With natural cases you can stuff, link, cut, vac seal, and freeze to come back and defrost and smoke another day. Not with Cellulose (not that I've tried). So as long as you plan to do it all you are good to go.

Now with cellulose I have stuffed, linked, and left in the fridge until ready to smoke the next day so you still can do something like that.

Reactions: thirdeye and DougE
Once you work with cellulose casings you will be spoiled with how easy they are to use hahahaha.
The only drawback is that you basically have to commit to stuffing and smoking.

With natural cases you can stuff, link, cut, vac seal, and freeze to come back and defrost and smoke another day. Not with Cellulose (not that I've tried). So as long as you plan to do it all you are good to go.

Now with cellulose I have stuffed, linked, and left in the fridge until ready to smoke the next day so you still can do something like that.
I've done natural, collagen, and fibrous, but not cellulose, yet.

Yeah I made a post about it last year someone also suggested increasing the water content as well but I’ll have to really experiment with it.. I’ll try the method you chose and see how it goes thanks for posting !!
i'm guessing they told you to increase the water because they suspect you didn't get a good bind? with this recipe, i used a couple of things to help with this. i added non-fat milk powder and finely processed bread crumbs (a practice of the Brits). the milk powder was 2% of total weight, and the crumbs at 1oz for every pound. this stuff is added after grinding. i then added water a little at a time until i could move things around easily enough and get a good distribution. shortly after it sticks to my hands, i call it done.

again, good luck. don't be scared of adding a little more fat. i think we had the same experience and are just describing it a little differently. still interested if the multiple grinds plays a role. i suspect it likely does, at least after a certain point, but not for sure. i don't really see a reason to do any more than two for my purposes, though. still just a little curious. i should have done half of this new, fattier batch with three grinds. if they came out dense and lean tasting, then we'd have an answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: slavikborisov
hope you'll have as much fun as i did!

i'm guessing they told you to increase the water because they suspect you didn't get a good bind? with this recipe, i used a couple of things to help with this. i added non-fat milk powder and finely processed bread crumbs (a practice of the Brits). the milk powder was 2% of total weight, and the crumbs at 1oz for every pound. this stuff is added after grinding. i then added water a little at a time until i could move things around easily enough and get a good distribution. shortly after it sticks to my hands, i call it done.

again, good luck. don't be scared of adding a little more fat. i think we had the same experience and are just describing it a little differently. still interested if the multiple grinds plays a role. i suspect it likely does, at least after a certain point, but not for sure. i don't really see a reason to do any more than two for my purposes, though. still just a little curious. i should have done half of this new, fattier batch with three grinds. if they came out dense and lean tasting, then we'd have an answer.
Yes I also added nfdm at 1.0% or 10kg per kg…. Bind was zero issue that mixture was so dam sticky I couldn’t get it off anything it touched it was like
Glue….. one person mentioned I might of overworked or overmixed I’ll have to find the link to the post I made.

i've yet to try that! i typically do mine in a skillet. i'll warm them up slowly and crank the heat a little at the end for some blister. honestly though, i think they'd hold up fine.
A spiral cut works for pan frying too. Oddly, a cast iron skillet works best when I fry hot dogs. It takes a lower heat setting, and they brown up nicer than a non-stick skillet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky