Homemade smoke generator....need input.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scoder75

Original poster
Dec 4, 2014
So I built a smoke generator based off one of those smoke daddy's. I am new to smoking.... anything. I would like to try to smoke some cheese in my Big chief smoker using this smoke generator.

Everything is made from 304 stainless except for the grate to hold the wood and some of the fittings for the air inlet.

Please give me your opinion if this looks safe to use (health wise).  When I did the test burn, there was a lot of condensation on the lid but I would assume this would be normal do to the heat rising.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Scoder75

X 2 what Goliath said....power to you for making your own. I to made a couple of venturi setups and found the same as everybody else...they creosote up quickly and for cold smoking dont last long enough. I'm at a high elevation so had to go with the Amazen Tube smoker....they work great! Good selection of pellet flavors and awesome customer support. I had to do a 40hr smoke on a country ham...the 18" Tube Smoker was giving me well over 12hrs of smoke per fill!

However, in answer to your question, if you've seasoned it...give your rig a roll...learn it's idiosyncrasies and we'll see ya in 6 months when you get an Amazen smoke generator
thumb1%20copy.gif

Thanks for the input guys. The second time I lit mine,there were flames shooting out the top when I took off the lid. I defiantly had a lot of creosote built up after the first trial burn.

After I looked at the Amazen pellet smoker, I think I may just get one of those.....or make it myself. Its funny how something so simply didn't even come to mind!

Thanks again and happy smoking!!!

OH OH ...

been there done that too.. made my own AMNPS, still had issues with it and broke down and spent the $30. at the time i had no choice because the freight to where i lived in Canada was almost as much as the unit. then i found a Canadian supplier and have never looked back. what hurt the most was my wife laughing at me and my toys and hours of work cause i didnt wanna spend the couple bucks ...  HA HA HA

it is fun to experiment and make your own stuff especially if ya have the tools available and material. BUT in the end iwent with the complete arsenal of AMZN products and am very glad i did. easy and fool proof.

GOOD LUCK

Goliath

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky