High temp pellet grill questions

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by mrad, May 7, 2015.

1. mrad

mrad Smoke Blower

I have noticed some of the pellet grills now claim 600 degree operating temps (Louisiana is one).  Does it matter much if a grill can only go up to 450 or 500 vs 600 when using it to grill vs. smoke??

2. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yes, steaks, burgers etc won't get the char marks normally gained with a charcoal set-up. Many will buy the 'grill grates' specially made for pellet type smokers that will sear steaks etc. pretty well but about $70 bucks. I have a pellet smoker that does a great job on ribs, loins, butts etc but if I want grill marks it's back to the basic charcoal grill....Willie

3. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

I think it mostly depends on what you want it to do. If you're using it primarily as a smoker, I wouldn't worry much if the top-end temp is 450* or if it's 650* But if you want to sear steaks and burgers...lots of cooks want a screaming hot fire to grill and sear steaks. In that case, a grill whose top temp is 600 or more would be a nice thing to have.

My Rec Tec's high temp is 500*, and it does a fine job of searing steaks...especially with the searing grates mentioned by Willie, which I purchased as an add on. But, It would be nice if I could afford one of those Memphis Elites, whose top temp is 700*. Plus it still smokes great at low and slow temps too.

Red

Last edited: May 7, 2015