High Temp cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keitht2

Original poster
Nov 18, 2023
I have been using high temp cheese in my snack sticks. But here's my question: On recipes where you have the meat and cheese in a casing, couldn't you just cut up block cheese and make that work? It's not like it's going to melt and drip out. Why wouldn't it work? I can understand why with smoked meat without the casing.

I have been using high temp cheese in my snack sticks. But here's my question: On recipes where you have the meat and cheese in a casing, couldn't you just cut up block cheese and make that work? It's not like it's going to melt and drip out. Why wouldn't it work? I can understand why with smoked meat without the casing.
I never use high temp cheese. Why bother? With sausage you're not going to get hot enough to melt regular hard cheese.

Reactions: keitht2
High temp cheese gives you a little more leeway with the cheese not melting if you cook the sausage to higher temps or mess up. I've done both high temp and regular. High temp cheese is expensive. Cubing up cheese is a pain. If you carefully cook your sausage, it won't melt out.

Reactions: Steve H and keitht2
You want to use sharp cheese or aged cheese. These are dryer and work well, the sharper the better. As far as cubing, I stopped that and buy the “farm style” from Tillamook. Just use right out of the bag.

IMG_1002.jpeg

You want to use sharp cheese or aged cheese. These are dryer and work well, the sharper the better. As far as cubing, I stopped that and buy the “farm style” from Tillamook. Just use right out of the bag.

View attachment 684396
It just works! I take my smoked sausages to 151~152°F and the cheese does not melt out using the Tillamook cheese recommended by Eric. I tried the same with a store brand of the same cut and most of the cheese ended up melting out and forming pockets at the casing ......... looked similar to fat out, but it was cheese.

I've never used hi temp cheese since it's not available locally. I have used Old/sharp/aged cheddar in the past. It works pretty good as long as you don't get the temps too high when smoking.

I've since switched to processed cheese since it doesn't get runny and it has a creamier texture to it overall. It's also cheaper for me here in Canada.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I've never used hi temp cheese since it's not available locally. I have used Old/sharp/aged cheddar in the past. It works pretty good as long as you don't get the temps too high when smoking.

I've since switched to processed cheese since it doesn't get runny and it has a creamier texture to it overall. It's also cheaper for me here in Canada.
Processed cheese also works well if you like the flavor.

Reactions: nlife and keitht2
I too quit using the expensive, no flavor, high temp cheese... I've been cubing up store bought cheese.... I use a 8 oz block for 5lbs ...

I can't say I've seen the Farmstyle in stores... Will look a little harder next time though...

Reactions: keitht2
I can't say I've seen the Farmstyle in stores... Will look a little harder next time though...
Aside from sliced and block, the only shredded cheese by Tillamook in my store is the farm style cut. Meijer has what they call "thick cut", and is the same cut as the farm style, but it doesn't work well in smoked sausage like Tillamook does.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky