Hi from the Burgh

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tank

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 19, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just wanted to stop by and give a heads up from Pittsburgh Pa. I am new to the smoking art and really haven't smoked anything yet. I just got a great deal on a Perfect Flame 36" LP smoker Model: GS-2001 from Lowes. It was the best price on a propane smoker that I have seen yet. Anyways I have been reading things on here and searching and have already found out a bunch of info. I think this site will help my break in period big time. Anyways tonight was the first time I fired up the smoker. I seasoned it well, wiped it down then added some oil to the inside. It is ready to go. It was about 30 F and I had no troubles keeping it around 225(with a decent thermometer). I found that suggestion right away. I have family functions all weekend and work on Monday so won't be able to smoke my first butt until Wed. Can't wait. The only question I had so far is about the quality of smoke. How do you make sure you are getting the best. I used the smoke box provided which isn't cast iron. I was getting smoke but when I bumped up the fire a little this would raise. None of the wood caught on fire that I could see but some were starting to glow orange and make small coals. Is this normal? What should the wood look like when starting to smoke/when smoking for a while/and when done? Maybe it was right or maybe I worry to much. I had the bottom vents completely closed and the upper one completely opened. Enough rambling for now. I look forward to meeting people, learning new things and hopefully one day giving out some advice.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. Congrats on the new smoker. You want thin blue smoke or no smoke and just the smell of smoke. If you can smell the smoke so can the meat. I'd suggest signing up for Jeff's 5 Day Ecourse as well its free and has some great info. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

I just completed day 4 of the Ecourse. A lot of good info. I guess my main concern so far is my wood burning or is it doing what it should be? How do I know?

First off welcome Tank to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to the forums Tank! Once you've got a few smokes under your belt you'll figure out the smoke thing. The glowing orange and coals as you put it, is what you want not flames, sounds like you got it. Try to keep the smoke thin and blue, you'll have to learn what works for you and your smoker. Good luck and don't forget to post some Q-view

Welcome to the stie Tank.
You're sure to love it here.

Pittsburgh...hope you're enjoying all the snow up there
icon_wink.gif

I enjoy the snow in December and Jan. but when it drags into late Feb and March then it gets old. Thanks for the welcome. First smoke coming on Wed. Going to go with a pork shoulder around 8 lbs or so. Starting early in the morning so we will see how it goes. Will look around for a very basic rub, start off with hickory smoke, and not sure yet about the finishing sauce. Can't wait.

Welcome Tank!

I used to live in Bethel Park before moving back to Indiana. I have a gas smoker and I know what you mean about the coals. I have found that chunks and chips work well together. I buy a bag of hickory chunks and hickory chips. You should probably get a metal bucket or something to dump hot coals in. When the smoker stops smoking, usually 30-60 minutes, you need to dump the coals and add new chips. I have found that it is nearly impossible to over smoke in a gas smoker. As for a rub, you should look up the Good Eats episode called "who loves ya, babyback?". Alton Browns rub is very similar to certain rubs that I have seen on sale for $15. It is a perfect rub for all smoked pork. Pulled pork is my absolute favorite thing to smoke. I am smoking some for our family get-to-gether on Christmas Eve. I cant wait. Good luck and keep smoking. It gets better with every smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky