Help with wood identification

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fendersrule

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 15, 2021
Picked up some free wood. She said it was plum and cherry with another unknown tree

image.jpg

This seems like plum.

image.jpg

I have no clue what this is.

image.jpg

This either.

Yeah. I have no problem burning the #1 and #3. 3 does seem like a young cherry or something. Only thing is that it doesn’t have stretch marks….

#2 is the oddball. Doesn’t seem fruit wood to me.

Yeah. I have no problem burning the #1 and #3. 3 does seem like a young cherry or something. Only thing is that it doesn’t have stretch marks….

#2 is the oddball. Doesn’t seem fruit wood to me.
Agreed, #2 I've been trying to figure out, I know I've seen it before at our cabin (northcentral PA). #1 I'm almost positive is plum, I had one, bark looked just like that. #3 looks like cherry, not positive since there are so many types of cherry.

Reactions: fendersrule
#1 looks to be from a Prunus species (plum, cherry, peach, etc belong to this group). I have some ideas as to what the others may be, but without more to go by, I'm not going to ID.

#1 looks to be from a Prunus species (plum, cherry, peach, etc belong to this group). I have some ideas as to what the others may be, but without more to go by, I'm not going to ID.

Would you agree that #1 and #3 are fruit trees and good to go (once seasoned?)

3 could be pear (probably Bradford, if so) and is fine for smoking. It's good for delicate things like fish where you don't want the smoke flavor to overpower.

#2 doesn’t have a bark “ring” on any crosscut section. I’m thinking that’s a fire pit item…

I’m now loaded with oak, apple, maple, plum, pecan, cherry, hickory, pear?, mesquite, and apricot.

I’ve usually been using oak as my base fuel for red meat, then just spike it mesquite or hickory depending on the meat.

These are definitely young trees. 3 years old I think. Can’t beat free though. Now
To let ‘em sit for awhile.

Last edited:
Yeah. THIS is cherry.
91D3665F-BEC0-41B9-928F-CA72BB0AB404.jpeg

Smooth, burgundy with stretch marks. Cherry can also be greyish too, but should still be smooth skin for all I know...

Cherry that I know doesn’t have a “barky” like outside. But as some have said, many types of cherry trees. Looks to me like a pear tree because they have that rougher bark on the outside. I'd wager my bet on that guess as well.

My guess is the trees were so young they never really saw them bear fruit, or just recently moved in, so some guessing was involved. I do think they are correct on the plum though. Sounds like #3 is pear.

Sounds like #2 is burn-pit wood!

Last edited:
Yeah. THIS is cherry.
View attachment 687833
Smooth, burgundy with stretch marks.

Cherry that I know doesn’t have a “barky” like outside. But as some have said, many types of cherry trees.

My guess is the trees were so young they never really saw them bear fruit, or just recently moved in, so some guessing was involved. I do think they are correct on the plum though. Sounds like #3 is pear.

Sounds like #2 is burn-pit wood!
Smaller limbs and twigs on cherry (and other prunus species) have smooth bark. The outer bark on larger limbs tends to have a peeled appearance (kinda like birch).

This is all cherry.

1707102820283.png

1707103081966.png

The bark on the trunk is tight, but flaked on large cherry trees

1707103291145.png

1707103332855.png

Laws DougE DougE did you raise that cherry on corn?

I've never seen one half that big. I had a good sized one at my old house that I was pretty proud of but that's like Kong.
Just a volunteer wild cherry that got blown over across the road to the back of my farm a few years ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky