Help with rump roast...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario...
So, two things you need to know before I lay out my problem:
I am pork lover, as much more fat is on peace of pork meat, exponentially I get happier and
I have 3.7 lb rump roast with no fat on it whatsoever (first obstacle) and knowing, up front, that I don't know what am I doing , I need advice with this fatless chunk how to cook it tender, well done and juicy... Wifie bought it and now I have stuck with this"mofo"...lol... should I go with dutch oven for 10 to 12 hrs low and slow... roasted is out of question, it has to be thoroughly cooked...
I would just throw it for 2 min on hot bbq coals and splash with tartar sauce but it is not up to me...
Suggestions?
15925970124804404597159223589046.jpg
1592597035734601303251941601276.jpg

ya sure it's a rump roast it looks like a frozen armadillo,:emoji_laughing: just kidding, I would put some salt, pepper garlic on it and roast or smoke at 300-325 until internal temp of 160 that should get you to well done. cooking bags work great to with some carrots and taters and onion in there with it.

Reactions: dernektambura
If you want it well done, I would go the dutch oven route in liquid until it gets to 160° internal; but no more, otherwise you risk drying it out too much. Maybe 2 hours at 375° in the oven. Medium (slightly pink) would be 150° and medium rare (Nicely pink to red in the middle) would be 135° internal.

Reactions: dernektambura
Thanks guys for reply... If I go SmokerJim route, how much chance do I have to screew it up and end up with chewy slices? I am very prone to F-ups first time doing...
And if I go with pops route and cook it a bit longer to avoid pinky center will I end up with chewy meat again... I wish I can deal with pork leg...lol...

BTW... SmokerJim... I never had armadillo dish... how does it taste... I had snake meat (not bad)... Frog legs...( took me 6 beers to wash it down but I did it...).... beaver tail (yuck)...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky