Help w/ Ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by 3 j's b smokin, Aug 26, 2008.

1. 3 j's b smokin

3 j's b smokin Fire Starter

The wife wants ribs for Labor weekend and I wantd to see if someone could help me either tweak my current rub and mop/glaze or make a suggestion for a new one. My current rub consists of black pepper, sea salt, galic powder and onion powder. I put a little soy sauce on the ribs and then sprinkle the rub on. Here were I'm having a little problem. I have a mop/glaze that I use but for whatever reason, it really doesn't put the glaze to the meat that I want. I first chop an onion and cook it in butter. I then add black pepper, salt, brown sugar, apple cider vinigar, orange juice and a paprika. The last time I cooked them, I put them on the smoker for about 3 hours at 225. After 3 hours, I wrapped in foil and applied mop/glaze for 2 hours. After 2 hours, I put back on pit for an additional hour mopping every 15 minutes. The meat had a good flavor but there is really no glaze or sauce effect to stick to the fingers. What am I doing wrong?

2. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Try adding more brown sugar, or let the orange juice and apple cider vinegar cook down till it's thicker. A glaze should not be runny, if you want it to stick to the meat.

3. tasunkawitko

tasunkawitko Master of the Pit OTBS Member

3J -

looks like you've got some REALLY good flavors going there. only thing i can think of is that you might be mopping a little too often toward the end, and not giving the mop time to carmelize.

i've got some notes here interspaced thoughout a running thread about my rib method. feel free to look it over and it might give you some ideas, also, there is a recipe for a finishing glaze that really puts a shine and deep color on.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...473#post232473

one other possibility might be to combine the soy sauce with some mustard and brush this on before applying the rub - the mustard taste goes away, but the rub seems to stick to the ribs better.

one final thought might be to "turn up the heat" a bit during the last hour.

4. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I sent you a PM. A simple mop I use is:
    1 measure cider vinegar
    1 measure bourbon
    If you make a cup total...or 1/2 cup of above liquids..add
    2 Tbsp. brown Sugar
    1 Tbsp onion powder
    .5 Tbsp ground red pepper
    1 Tbsp CBP
    1 Tbsp Kosher salt

Simmer for a few min to meld flavors...

On Edit: I don't glaze. Find it counterproductive to the actual meat flavor. ;{)