Help w/ Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3 j's b smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2008
The wife wants ribs for Labor weekend and I wantd to see if someone could help me either tweak my current rub and mop/glaze or make a suggestion for a new one. My current rub consists of black pepper, sea salt, galic powder and onion powder. I put a little soy sauce on the ribs and then sprinkle the rub on. Here were I'm having a little problem. I have a mop/glaze that I use but for whatever reason, it really doesn't put the glaze to the meat that I want. I first chop an onion and cook it in butter. I then add black pepper, salt, brown sugar, apple cider vinigar, orange juice and a paprika. The last time I cooked them, I put them on the smoker for about 3 hours at 225. After 3 hours, I wrapped in foil and applied mop/glaze for 2 hours. After 2 hours, I put back on pit for an additional hour mopping every 15 minutes. The meat had a good flavor but there is really no glaze or sauce effect to stick to the fingers. What am I doing wrong?

Try adding more brown sugar, or let the orange juice and apple cider vinegar cook down till it's thicker. A glaze should not be runny, if you want it to stick to the meat.

3J -

looks like you've got some REALLY good flavors going there. only thing i can think of is that you might be mopping a little too often toward the end, and not giving the mop time to carmelize.

i've got some notes here interspaced thoughout a running thread about my rib method. feel free to look it over and it might give you some ideas, also, there is a recipe for a finishing glaze that really puts a shine and deep color on.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...473#post232473

one other possibility might be to combine the soy sauce with some mustard and brush this on before applying the rub - the mustard taste goes away, but the rub seems to stick to the ribs better.

one final thought might be to "turn up the heat" a bit during the last hour.

I sent you a PM. A simple mop I use is:
1 measure cider vinegar
1 measure bourbon
If you make a cup total...or 1/2 cup of above liquids..add
2 Tbsp. brown Sugar
1 Tbsp onion powder
.5 Tbsp ground red pepper
1 Tbsp CBP
1 Tbsp Kosher salt

Simmer for a few min to meld flavors...

On Edit: I don't glaze. Find it counterproductive to the actual meat flavor. ;{)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky