Help Needed Smoking 20 Pound Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kruugman

Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I'm using a recipe that calls for butterflying the turkey. I usually use a barrel smoker, but got a new 30" electric Masterbuilt smoker that I want to use for the turkey. Problem is, its trays are too small for the bird. Thinking of removing legs and doing the bone in breast on one tray and the legs, thighs and wings on another. Has anyone done this? Does it have any impact on the meat? Also what kind of cook times? This would reduce the amount of smoking time, but it's also a big bird. Any help is appreciated.

Spatchcock the bird and split it in half. Put each half on a tray. This will get the smoking time down, and it will get you through the 40°-140° in less than 4 hours.

Run your smoker as hot as it will go. This will help avoid rubbery skin.

^^^^^ yeah that. ^^^^^

Yes. If halves wont fit either, you can cut the bird up into parts like you would a chicken that can fit on multiple racks too.
Perhaps into two hind quarters, then split the breast for 4 pieces total. ..And perhaps the backbone that wont have much meat on it depending on whether you cut the hind quarter at the thigh joint or across the back.

I have been removing the spine, for stock, and the legs from turkey the last few years. I add the legs to the smoker at 250. An hour later the breast. I figure 20-25 minutes per pound based on breast weight. All is done together...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky