Help me make this better (Almonds & Pecans)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davidee

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 19, 2023
Did a bit of almonds and pecans yesterday, results were good but I totally winged it.

Pecans (for 1.25lb):

Seasoning:
- Brown sugar 1/3c
- Salt (regular) 1Tsp
- Garlic 1Tsp
- Cayenne 1/2Tsp
- Cinnamon 1/2Tsp
Grapeseed oil didn’t measure maybe ~ 1Tbsp

Almonds (.75lb):

Seasoning:
- Salt (regular) 1/2Tsp
- Garlic 1/2Tsp
- Cayenne 1/4Tsp
- Cinnamon 1/4Tsp
Grapeseed oil didn’t measure maybe ~ 1Tsp

Muddled the mix after placing the nuts in a baggie and shaking for oil coverage.
Poured in seasoning
Shook it like it owed me money
Let sit for 20
Shook again

Parchment paper on baking sheet and placed in the pellet smoker.

2hrs @ 200F

What do you guys think? Pointers? Concerns?

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpeg
    IMG_1919.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1920.jpeg
    IMG_1920.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1926.jpeg
    IMG_1926.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1931.jpeg
    IMG_1931.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 22
Try using a splatter screen instead of the baking sheet. Stirring occasionally. The screen will allow the smoke to reach all sides of the nuts.

Chris

Try using a splatter screen instead of the baking sheet. Stirring occasionally. The screen will allow the smoke to reach all sides of the nuts.

Chris
I like it, that may solve some of the pooling id imagine. I got fir of the paper pretty quickly as I could see accumulation. I wonder if they make a rectangular splatter screen 🤔

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks good from here. But as with a lot of stuff we do...How does it taste?
Amazon has Many different size splatter screens. Might want to check them out.

Jim

Reactions: davidee
Just ordered this one and another that amazon felt I needed to see, I am using the multi tier jerky rack from grilla in the alpha so i think I’ll get to test them … all

Reactions: clifish
Looks good from here. But as with a lot of stuff we do...How does it taste?
Amazon has Many different size splatter screens. Might want to check them out.

Jim
The taste is quite good, the smoke is light but I think it would be better with the suggested mesh mats. The crunch was really good as I think the temp was high enough, but not high or long enough to burn.

In the past I was in the front of the plane as I traveled quite a bit, but I’d say (and the wife backs me up on it) these are more tasty than the nuts served in First Class. I think the mesh will also allow the oil to …. Go away. I chose a neutral (grape seed) don’t know if I’d do anything else (unless of course someone reading this says “no really you don’t want to use it because of <x>” open to any info you guys have ++

Reactions: JLeonard
First off welcome to the group, from Nova Scotia

And they look great , and something else I have not tried yet, on the list it goes.
I should try soon in the next month or so, ready for Christmas

Shook it like it owed me money
I read this and started laughing, it really struck me funny, sitting here early in a very quite house. Hope I did not wake anyone. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses:

David

Reactions: davidee
Welcome to the site, looks great, for better smoke flavor run your pellet smoker at lowest temp and or try a smoke tube, I would probably do both as it's a short smoke and would want to maximize the time.

Did this one lastnight along side some jerky (I’ll state the particulars there will be pointers i hope as the temp and times were different.

Seasoning mix same as above adjusted for volume.
Added 1/8Tsp additional cayenne

Pecans 1.69lb
Temp 185F
Time 2hr 30m

Used the baking sheet ordered (thx clifish clifish ) packed it too densely but it worked.

I think the higher temp may be a bit better on the crunch, but I was doing a mixed smoke … as in “well I have space soooo……. What could possibly…”

I need to add to my profile but this is a grilla alpha and only goes as low as 180. I had room for the smoke tube I have but …. I’m not enamored with the performance. I welcome any suggestions, this is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CT8N95N?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have used it to mixed results, it left me all …. Well somewhere between … staby and sad panda :-/

I’ll be posting about the jerky in that area because man I am looking for some pointers, I unknowingly almost killed us all not using a cure apparently 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_2031.jpeg
    IMG_2031.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2026.jpeg
    IMG_2026.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 14
I've only made almonds once. They were okay so I don't have much advice. They cost more to buy raw almonds than to buy a bag of Blue Diamond smoked almonds. So...I've been eating the store bought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky