Help: 1st St.Louis spare ribs on pit boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One thing to note, the ribs have a nice bark but not pull back from the ends of the bone. Check them with a bend test or tooth pick but may need to wrap them to get done in the time frame.
What the best way to do the bend test? With tongs & hold the ribs 4-5bones in from the end?

After I pull the meatloaf off, would it be OK to increase grill temperature to 275°F?

Thanks.

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
What the best way to do the bend test? With tongs & hold the ribs 4-5bones in from the end?

After I pull the meatloaf off, would it be OK to increase grill temperature to 275°F?

Thanks.
Tongs and long ways inserted just shy of half way. Lift them up , the gravity should let the other more than half bend down. You want bend enough for slight cracking of meat between bones.

Or probe with a tooth pick and check for push feel, should be soft in and out like pushing into a jar of peanut butter.

Tongs and long ways inserted just shy of half way. Lift them up , the gravity should let the other more than half bend down. You want bend enough for slight cracking of meat between bones.

Or probe with a tooth pick and check for push feel, should be soft in and out like pushing into a jar of peanut butter.
Thanks.

Thanks.
Pick them up with insulated gloved hand in the middle. You should be able to talk smack to somebody while they flex up and down without cracking. Then there ready to wrap I use paper. Should be probe tender within a hour and ready for a sauce and set.

This is when they are done without wrapping. Jim has you covered for time to wrap.

Pick them up with insulated gloved hand in the middle. You should be able to talk smack to somebody while they flex up and down without cracking. Then there ready to wrap I use paper. Should be probe tender within a hour and ready for a sauce and set.
Lmao my smoke x probe says 160°f but my Weber probe says 155° f . I think I better trust the thermoworks smoke x4 probe & pull the meatloaf.

Thanks for the tip.

DT, No bone showing yet but looking good. Too late now but IMHO your first ribs should have been the 3-2-1 method. It is easy and forgiving for a person just starting out. You will be a pro at this in no time and be helping others when they start out.

My ribs with the Weber probe says 195°f. My smoke x4 probe reads 205°f & when picked up with tongs in the center the meat split & the ribs bout fell apart.

Here is a pic of the ribs
1000000213.jpg
1000000214.jpg

Ah padawan...you have learned well. Looks mighty good. Of course now you have set the bar. The family will expect that or better from now!
And If I may say....I'd be throwing elbows for that meatloaf.

Jim
Yeah the meatloaf responded well to the apple pellets, but the ribs did not take on the apple smoke nearly as strong.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky