Hello From Colroado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scandium45

Original poster
Jul 15, 2017
Denver, CO
Hi folks.  New member here.  I've been reading enough threads on this forum so I figured it's time to join.  As I write this my new Smoke Hollow 26" electric smoker is working on my first attempt- a spatchcocked and brined 4lb chicken.  So far so good, but I've noticed a few things:

It's been an hour and the smoke has stopped.  I'm afraid I've burned off all the wood chips already lol.  I used dry chips and filled the pan full.  I did that because I read that using soaked chips just creates steam.  Hmmm.  I have some more chips soaking in a bowl and I will put them in in a few minutes.

When I seasoned the smoker last night, the "high" setting on the rheostat got the unit to about 330F.  Today, it slowly got up to about 250 and is now stuck there.  Is it because of the thermal mass of the chicken and water pan?

The chicken still smells delicious though. :)

Scandium45, welcome to SMF!  Glad you're here and putting the new electric smoker to work.  I'm a charcoal guy, so no help here, but there are lots of electric smokers on SMF so someone will be along shortly to address your concerns.

Have fun with the new toy!

Ray

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a partly cloudy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web.

Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky