Hello from Arizona

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

galaxyranch

Original poster
Mar 29, 2009
Concho, AZ
My name is Gerry, I live in northeastern Arizona and just bought a Weston propane smoker, but haven't had a chance to use it yet, hubby (also Jerry) just put it together for me. I'm glad I found this site though and hope to be smokin' soon! Any suggestions or tips from those that have used a propane smoker?

Welcome to the forum!
As for where to start... You have so many options.
The very first item I smoked were ribs. Beef and pork. I strongly recommend that you read some of the recipes offered here. Also get a variety of smoking wood(alder, mesquite, hickory, etc).
Above all else have fun. We love to hear about how things go. So keep us updated.

Cheers

Welcome aboard Gerry and Jerry! I have a MES myself. But you will get plenty of info from all of the wonderful people here shortly. Make sure you season the unit before cooking in order to get rid of any residual nasties from the manufacturing process. My first smoke was a butt. Not the greatest turn out but I have increased my abilities greatly from all the help from these forums. Just got a load of apple wood from a friend in St. Johns cannot wait for it to season out so I can start smokin with it.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

welcome to SMF Gerry,from a little south of u,more and more AZ people showing up,I not a gasser but first thing u wanna do is season that thing-clean it up with diluted dish soap to get mfg.oils off it, rub it down with evoo and fire it up doing a dry run.than do some ribs to reward jerry for his labor.now to look where chancho is.

Welcome to the SMF. You make want to check the calibration of your therm, ferom the factory it's usually not that dependable. Be sure and season your smoker before using it to smoke any food. If you can remove the therm, dip it in boiling water, it should read about 212, depending on your elevation. If you can't remove it, use a probe type therm shoved into a piece of potato, with about 1/2 in. sticking out, and put it at the rack/grate level that is equal or near where your stock therm is located. Good way to compare. Good luck my friend.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You'll find lots of good info and recipes here. One of the best things you can do is get a digital meat thermometer or two or six
biggrin.gif
smoking is done to temperatures not times. As was stated clean the smoker of any oil and nasty stuff that may be there then season it. Check the stock thermo and figure out what your first smoke is gonna be. If you have any questions many of us have propane smokers

Welcome to the forums, Gerry! Glad you joined us. Your in for a treat as you learn to use your new rig. The guys are already giving you good advice. I might only add that if you are totally new to smoking meat, you might want to take Jeff's 5 day e-Course. Some great info there to help newbies get started.

Welcome to SMF. There is lots of great info to read and learn from as well as many people who love to share their knowledge.
icon_smile.gif

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard. There are plenty of propane smokers here. If you have any questions, just ask.

Welcome! Just check out the forum for whatever you want to smoke...be it beef, pork, poultry, or something else, there's advice and techniques to be found here. Good Luck!

Yes, I still need to season the smoker, we've had a lot of wind lately so just waiting for some nicer weather, today it's snowing! Several years ago I was at a pot luck and someone brought a smoked turkey, have been wanting to smoke ever since! I will probably start out with a chicken or ribs. Yes, I did take the ecourse, and learned alot!

I bought hickory and mesquite chips at the Ace Hardware, they also have cherry and apple, that's next on the list.

I'm very familiar with St. Johns, worked at the high school for awhile, nice little community. Glad to see other Arizonans here!

Thanks for the welcome and support, I think I'll have a great time smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky