Hasselback Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Freaking Awesome, John!!
Like Chris, I've seen these for years but never tried it.
This one is explained good enough that I can see it doesn't look that difficult, even for an old Crippled up Bear to give it a shot!
So Copied, Pasted, Printed, and into The Line.
Thanks Buddy!
Like.

Bear

Yessir....you went and did it again. gave me one more thing I GOTTA make. I could see Tracy going gaga over these. Well, I'm sure I'd love them too. This looks like a perfect opportunity to utilize the Rec Tec. Smoke low for a bit then jack up the temp to crust them....all the while adding stuff like finely crumbled bacon and maybe some cheese.

What's not to LIKE!!

Oh baby!!
Robert

Reactions: siege
Those look picture perfect ! Bet they taste that way too .
I found the easiest way to cut them is to put 2 nylon or wooden spoons on the cutting board parallel to each other, with the potato length wise between then. Slice away and let the spoons control the depth of your cut. A couple of pieces of wood dowel would work, too.
A butter and olive oil combo with Parmesan stirred in is really tasty when you smoke the spuds. Stir often, the parm sinks to the bottom of the bowl.
And another great tip/hack, thanks.
Damn, why I never thought of doing that is beside me.
That is a great pro pointer that will come in handy.
I love this forum just for this reason, you never know when you're gonna learn a new trick to make things easier.
Thank you.
I know, right... Great place and people.
Very nice John!!!, I’ve made these a few times.

I use two wooden bamboo skewers placed on each side of the potato as a guide when slicing, that way I don’t go all the way through.

I also cut a small sliver sliced longways off the potato, this stops it from rolling around. You could even place that slivered piece underneath the sliced potato, it will open the potato up a bit more to accept more seasonings....sorry I can’t explain it better. A picture is worth a thousand words here.
I fully know what you're describing, thanks for yet another useful tip/hack.

Reactions: siege
Thanks
Thanks for the recipe John, I've seen them before but never tried one, and always thought they were spiral cut(which is why I never tried it). So it's kind of a cross between a baked potato and oven fries. I bet a little melted cheddar and bacon crumblings will go good on those babies.

Point for sure
Chris
Chris, thank you and you're welcome.
I've seen them spiral cut, too much for me to try too.
This way seems to much easier.
Cheese and bacon are good, but hard to get into the slices.
Chile sorry for the 1 word reply,tree guy showed up love them hasselback with bacon,cheese LIKES
Richie
No problemo Richie.
Those look great could see them being a big hit in my house. Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure sir.
They're pretty popular, give'em a go, sure your family will like them too.
Here to serve up the bonus points mentioned in your other Banner Headline post. Great job and cool creativity!
Thanks again Eddie.
Yessir....you went and did it again. gave me one more thing I GOTTA make. I could see Tracy going gaga over these. Well, I'm sure I'd love them too. This looks like a perfect opportunity to utilize the Rec Tec. Smoke low for a bit then jack up the temp to crust them....all the while adding stuff like finely crumbled bacon and maybe some cheese.

What's not to LIKE!!

Oh baby!!
Robert
Yep, another on the list for ya Robert.
My bet is she does, and you're stuck making these regular like.
Dang it.. That will be on about page 8 in the to-do- list. Not order specific by any means.
You and me both, so much to try and not enough time.

Last edited:
So many of y'all mentioned Cheddar-n-Bacon.
Well ya know I'm a leftovers guy, so I took some and hit'em with the broiler to crisp them, added some Cheddar-n-Bacon and dinner was on.

Yep, they were good.

AwaZZKY.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: udaman and xray
So many of y'all mentioned Cheddar-n- bacon.
Well ya know I'm a leftovers guy, so I took some and hit'em with the broiler to crisp them, added some Cheddar-n-Bacon and dinner was on.

Yep, they were good.

AwaZZKY.jpg
Holy potatoes! Thats what they were made for right there! I also want to comment on nthe very very consistent knife slices! Very nice!

Holy potatoes! Thats what they were made for right there! I also want to comment on nthe very very consistent knife slices! Very nice!
It was kind of a bummer, the cheese didn't melt into the slices and the bacon fell off while eating.
It all stayed on top, maybe bacon with the cheese over it next time.
If I was really serious about my presentation I'd take the time and effort to individually insert between every other slice.

Have you ever made a hassleback potato gratin? It’s another thing I have bookmarked but just haven’t had the chance to do.

Nice taters John! They sure look fancy. I love oven bakers. I've only smoked potatoes once and didn't care for it. However, these just might hit the rotation in the kettle with the vortex for that high indirect heat. Point for sure!

One of my favorite recipes so far, thanks.
You're welcome, it's one of mine too.
My thanks to the Swedish guy who first made them.
Yes please. I will take 3 of them.
Sorry ate the last this morning as Fried Taters.
Have you ever made a hassleback potato gratin? It’s another thing I have bookmarked but just haven’t had the chance to do.
No, you've the recipe, share and I'll give'em a go this week.
Nice taters John! They sure look fancy. I love oven bakers. I've only smoked potatoes once and didn't care for it. However, these just might hit the rotation in the kettle with the vortex for that high indirect heat. Point for sure!
Thanks Bro.
What happened with your smoked taters that you didn't care for, too much smoke?

Thanks Bro.
What happened with your smoked taters that you didn't care for, too much smoke?

That might have been it. Dunno really. I have used a potatos to hold my temp probes. It works good for that, but not as a snack as I thought it would. For one they took too long to cook through at that low of a smoke temp. It just kind of shriveled and dried up before it was cooked so the texture was off. And yeah, it took the smoke pretty heavy. I can see cutting it Hasselback style would cut down on the time, solve these issues.

[QUOTE="chilerelleno, post: 2010690, member: 119065No, you've the recipe, share and I'll give'em a go this week.[/QUOTE]

Here’s the recipe I have bookmarked, as stated I haven’t made them yet but it’s on the list. Just looking at it I’m thinking of adding onion, subbing dry for fresh thyme and incorporating smoked sharp cheddar cheese along with the other cheeses. The cheese amounts seem small, but I won’t know til I weight it out.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/hasselback-potato-gratin-casserole-holiday-food-lab.html

Freaking Awesome, John!!
Like Chris, I've seen these for years but never tried it.
This one is explained good enough that I can see it doesn't look that difficult, even for an old Crippled up Bear to give it a shot!
So Copied, Pasted, Printed, and into The Line.
Thanks Buddy!
Like.

Bear

Guess I didn't type loud enough!
That's OK, I've been ignored before, John.

Bear

Guess I didn't type loud enough!
That's OK, I've been ignored before, John.

I know the feeling all to well Bear. Sometimes I turn the volume down on the keyboard so it doesn't bother Tracy and I forget to turn it back up.

Developing a case of CRS,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky