Hasselback Potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Freaking Awesome, John!!
Like Chris, I've seen these for years but never tried it.
This one is explained good enough that I can see it doesn't look that difficult, even for an old Crippled up Bear to give it a shot!
So Copied, Pasted, Printed, and into The Line.
Thanks Buddy!
Like.

Bear
Guess I didn't type loud enough!
That's OK, I've been ignored before, John.

Bear
MAYBE YOU SHOULD'VE YELLED!

LOL, Do Bears get grumpy before hibernation?
Easy now old man, not being ignored... Here have a picnic basket.
I'm not perfect, but damn, I could swear I replied to you and it was something like,
"Thanks John,
yep so easy even an ol'Bear can learn a new trick.
Kick it up to the front of the line."

Reactions: Bearcarver
That might have been it. Dunno really. I have used a potatos to hold my temp probes. It works good for that, but not as a snack as I thought it would. For one they took too long to cook through at that low of a smoke temp. It just kind of shriveled and dried up before it was cooked so the texture was off. And yeah, it took the smoke pretty heavy. I can see cutting it Hasselback style would cut down on the time, solve these issues.
Yep, taters take on a lot of smoke quick.
yup makin these for sure!
Do it!

I know the feeling all to well Bear. Sometimes I turn the volume down on the keyboard so it doesn't bother Tracy and I forget to turn it back up.

Developing a case of CRS,
Robert
Literally wore out several keys on my notebook's keyboard.
So I bought a good gaming keyboard, mechanical type with Blue MX keys that are both tactile and clicky, and it is loud, click'ick! click'ick! click'ick! click'ick!

So I bought a good gaming keyboard, mechanical type with Blue MX keys that are both tactile and clicky, and it is loud, click'ick! click'ick! click'ick! click'ick!

That's WAY beyond my very limited computer skills....but I'll take your word for it.

Beta max machine still flashing 12:00,
Robert
p.s. y'all remember the beta max machines?

I'm not sure if you will see this in time of not chilerelleno chilerelleno
I was wondering if they spread open a little bit when they are baking @400*? We just had some crazy family s*** take place, and we might be eating a whole lot more potatoes for the next year, I guess it's a good thing potatoes are as versatile as they are.
I actually have two in the oven right now and was just curious if they will open a bit or not.

PS.
I won't have to worry about picking up those damn apples ever again. We have to move unfortunately, life just threw us a whole lot of lemons. I guess we will need to learn how to make Dan's killer smoked lemonade.

Thanks a bunch Chile, I appreciate your helpful spirit.

Dan:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you Chile.
I really appreciate the quick response.
They are starting to look pretty damn good.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yum, these are awesome treats, thank you.
Dan
20191022_210948.jpg
20191022_210604.jpg

MAYBE YOU SHOULD'VE YELLED!

LOL, Do Bears get grumpy before hibernation?
Easy now old man, not being ignored... Here have a picnic basket.
I'm not perfect, but damn, I could swear I replied to you and it was something like,
"Thanks John,
yep so easy even an ol'Bear can learn a new trick.
Kick it up to the front of the line."

Thanks John!!
At least I got your attention!
I am kicking it up to near the front of the line.
Hopefully I don't screw it up---Not sure I have a sharp enough knife to cut such thin slices---Maybe my Electric Knife??
Can't wait to try this Swedish Tater!!

Bear

Thanks John!!
At least I got your attention!
I am kicking it up to near the front of the line.
Hopefully I don't screw it up---Not sure I have a sharp enough knife to cut such thin slices---Maybe my Electric Knife??
Can't wait to try this Swedish Tater!!

Bear

Morning Bear, I think any knife is with a decent edge would do, just remember you’re not cutting all the way through so the potato stays intact without ending up with slices.

Think of it like a dado cut from your woodworking days.

Here’s a good illustration of using something on the side of the potatoes to act as a stop. Skewers, chopsticks, wooden spoons dowels etc. would all work.
5E7D33CC-C09B-4636-83AB-F85845A82F39.jpeg

I wonder if an electric knife would rip it apart since the slices are so close to the bottom of the potato. Sounds like an easy experiment, if it doesn’t work at least you have homefries for breakfast fast now.

Morning Bear, I think any knife is with a decent edge would do, just remember you’re not cutting all the way through so the potato stays intact without ending up with slices.

Think of it like a dado cut from your woodworking days.

Here’s a good illustration of using something on the side of the potatoes to act as a stop. Skewers, chopsticks, wooden spoons dowels etc. would all work.
View attachment 409097

I wonder if an electric knife would rip it apart since the slices are so close to the bottom of the potato. Sounds like an easy experiment, if it doesn’t work at least you have homefries for breakfast fast now.

Thanks Xray!!
I'll try the electric knife first to see how it works. Be great if it works--I use it for a lot of things. I know before I got my French Fry Cutter, I had a hell of a time trying to cut Fries with a knife--That's what worries me.
And Yeah, I read all the comments about the ways to stop the cut short of all the way through. I'm good there.

Bear

maybe melt cheese with some cream n pour over top at end till browned.. I would soak the cut potato in water n rinse good to get rid of some of the starch or maybe boil for few minutes always makes better fried taters.. hmm so many ways to make a good thing flop or shine.

It was kind of a bummer, the cheese didn't melt into the slices and the bacon fell off while eating.
It all stayed on top, maybe bacon with the cheese over it next time.
If I was really serious about my presentation I'd take the time and effort to individually insert between every other slice.

[QUOTE="chilerelleno, post: 2010690, member: 119065No, you've the recipe, share and I'll give'em a go this week.

Here’s the recipe I have bookmarked, as stated I haven’t made them yet but it’s on the list. Just looking at it I’m thinking of adding onion, subbing dry for fresh thyme and incorporating smoked sharp cheddar cheese along with the other cheeses. The cheese amounts seem small, but I won’t know til I weight it out.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/12/hasselback-potato-gratin-casserole-holiday-food-lab.html[/QUOTE]
Gonna make these tomorrow, thanks Joe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky