HAM.... easy peasy... no mess.... DISCLAIMER.. MONEY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just use a standard turkey injector that holds 60ml
Nice. I thought that might be too big with having to make so many holes. Man, another meat obsession brewing now. I can't wait to try this. Probably makes more sense for me to do in colder weather but I don't think I can wait, lol. Thanks!!!!!!!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice. I thought that might be too big with having to make so many holes. Man, another meat obsession brewing now. I can't wait to try this. Probably makes more sense for me to do in colder weather but I don't think I can wait, lol. Thanks!!!!!!!
Naw just get after it. Dave’s process really makes about the best ham I’ve ever eaten. Just be mindful to inject along the length of the bone, then that 1” or so grid on the rest inject a little at full depth then pul up the needle an inch or so inject a little more and repeat until the needle is out. You will need to inject from both top and bottom to cover it all especially the bone. Otherwise it’s a fool proof ham method.

Reactions: HushyQ
Holy crap. Searching on a source for STPP just sent me down a big ol rabbit hole at modernist pantry. OMG. not enough time, lol

You don't have to use it, but it will hold more moisture.

PhosThis! is the one that I picked up and used. Same one from the Amazon link posted above. I ordered mine and it took about 3 months to get it. Now I have enough to make a ton of ham given on how little you actually use.

This is what I have.

Edit. I think. I will have to make sure tomorrow. I know it's by butcher packer

Reactions: SmokinEdge

This is what I have.

Edit. I think. I will have to make sure tomorrow. I know it's by butcher packer
That 450 super phos is what I’m currently using. Good stuff.

This is what I ordered.
https://modernistpantry.com/product...dQvvpElfsXCMKzt_wG2W_A7I5K1VRNdQaAjdhEALw_wcB

They have a crazy amount of stuff I never heard of. Some interesting videos.
This should work just fine.

Does anyone have preferred wood for this recipe? My first inclination in Apple or Cherry. What do most of you use and would you recommend cold smoking over multiple days 5 hrs at a time before getting it to temp?

I'm going to necro this thread yet again. Just finished a dinner of daveomak daveomak 's ham. This was the second time I've made it. I injected it on the 11th and let it sit until today (20th). I would have liked to let the picnic roast cure a little longer, but the forecast looks like rain all week. I would have liked to get more smoke on it too, but as it is I got 5 hours of hot smoke on it and I beat the rain by 5 minutes or so.

20240520_120410.jpeg

It was a maple bourbon glaze that gave it just the right touch. Given that this was 11.6lbs, I lobbed a small chunk off and carved it up for the family.

1000003318.jpeg

I was worried that it would be a bit dry, but all that disappeared when I made the first cut. Damn it was juicy!

1000003317.jpeg

20240520_173058.jpeg

My wife's late grandmother used to make ham for the holidays, and she loved it. This one was a hit. She said that it was as tender and flaky as her grandma's and the flavor was F@#king amazing. That's pretty high praise since she always talks about her grandma's ham.

This was also the first time I was able to use the Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq thermometer I won in the Canadian giveaway. That thing is pretty cool! 4 probes, temperature graph over time, alarms... all the bells ans whistles. The wireless connectivity was flawless and a great feature for my older Traeger.

I used two probes in the ham placed on each side of the bone. I cooked to 145f before pulling and resting under foil. The two probes were within a degree of each other the whole time. The one on the bottom was ahead, but I suspect that was because that's where the heat was.

I also put one sensor on the grate to see what the temps were at the cooking surface. Seems as though my Traeger runs hotter than the OEM sensor reports.

Very happy with the results of the ham and the performance of the Inkbird.

I'm going to necro this thread yet again. Just finished a dinner of daveomak daveomak 's ham. This was the second time I've made it. I injected it on the 11th and let it sit until today (20th). I would have liked to let the picnic roast cure a little longer, but the forecast looks like rain all week. I would have liked to get more smoke on it too, but as it is I got 5 hours of hot smoke on it and I beat the rain by 5 minutes or so.

View attachment 697195

It was a maple bourbon glaze that gave it just the right touch. Given that this was 11.6lbs, I lobbed a small chunk off and carved it up for the family.

View attachment 697196

I was worried that it would be a bit dry, but all that disappeared when I made the first cut. Damn it was juicy!

View attachment 697197

View attachment 697198

My wife's late grandmother used to make ham for the holidays, and she loved it. This one was a hit. She said that it was as tender and flaky as her grandma's and the flavor was F@#king amazing. That's pretty high praise since she always talks about her grandma's ham.

This was also the first time I was able to use the Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq thermometer I won in the Canadian giveaway. That thing is pretty cool! 4 probes, temperature graph over time, alarms... all the bells ans whistles. The wireless connectivity was flawless and a great feature for my older Traeger.

I used two probes in the ham placed on each side of the bone. I cooked to 145f before pulling and resting under foil. The two probes were within a degree of each other the whole time. The one on the bottom was ahead, but I suspect that was because that's where the heat was.

I also put one sensor on the grate to see what the temps were at the cooking surface. Seems as though my Traeger runs hotter than the OEM sensor reports.

Very happy with the results of the ham and the performance of the Inkbird.
I suggest you start your own fresh thread about your ham. Give Dave his due and carry on your own.

These are great hams. And better left for 14 days then the smoke and rest totaling about 21 days for supper. It takes time to develop all of the flavors. Wait and you will be rewarded.

Reactions: nlife
I suggest you start your own fresh thread about your ham. Give Dave his due and carry on your own.

I deliberately brought this great thread up so that it wouldn't get buried deep in the archives. I'm truly indebted to daveomak daveomak for his method and recipe. This is but one humble example of the results that can be had by following his recommendations.

Reactions: chopsaw
I deliberately brought this great thread up so that it wouldn't get buried deep in the archives. I'm truly indebted to daveomak daveomak for his method and recipe. This is but one humble example of the results that can be had by following his recommendations.
We have all been there. But it’s still best to make your own thread. Then tag Dave and a link to his original thread. This way we pay respect but live in the now or today. We all get it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky