Grillmaster wanting to learn to smoke meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xecutech

Original poster
May 25, 2013
Mt. Juliet, TN
Hey guys, and gals, I'm Tom and I have been trolling the boards for the past few weeks.

I just assembled my new Masterbuilt Charcoal & Propane Smoker from Home Depot. That's why I'm up so late checking out the forums, and finally deciding to join and make it official.

I did run into another guy buying the same grill, and he mentioned this site, but didn't get his name.

Either way, looking forward to seasoning this smoker up in the morning and hopefully smoking my first rack of ribs for the summer.

Welcome to the forums, Tom!  Glad you've joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastime...grilling and smoking great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask when you need help and you'll get plenty!

Red

Hi Tom! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 45,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you joined us!

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/terms-of-service

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Happy Memorial Day! 
smilie_flagge13.gif

Kat

Welcome , Tom. We can help you expand you skills. Smoking is so fun and such a change from Grilled food .

The first thing you need is "Patience" , free and well worth the effort. By not looking and following the IM temps. , you will soon be an old hand at Smoking.

There are different methods for different types of meat , but that will come with a bit of coaching and experimenting.

You said Ribs will be at the top of the list? As a suggestion, you mioght want to start with Chicken (cheap) and practice with them, not as $$ as Ribs.

You want a rib with a bit of a tug to it, many of our members use the 3-2-1-method for Spares and 2-2-1-for Babybacks... that's 3hrs. of heat/smoke while un-wrapped , 2hrs. wrapped in foil and the last hr, again un-wrapped. This is how you want them to be as you remove them:

when picked up with Tongs , it should bend and break in the middle. This is where I wrap in foil and set in a towel in a dry cooler to complete / hold them. You can hold them up to 4-6 hours and they keep getting tenderer the whole time.

Have fun playing with you new toy, and find that other customer and get a Friendship going, Friends are cool , and help you stay awake on those long overnighters.
ROTF.gif

Till later,have fun and as always . . .

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I am seasoning my smoker now, and may try chicken first per your suggestions.

I may need to do some wings first. lol

I am heading out to by a thermometer. The digital one I used through the top vent melted and broke, so one lesson learned.

I am seasoning with vegetable oil wiped on the interior and using charcoal burning in it right now. I have the gas off and it's sitting right on 225 and not a lot of smoke leaks, so I am thrilled so far.

Too late in the day to smoke some ribs. Anything that has a shorter cook time I can try to test it out?

I may start something early in the morning, but I am dying to cook something this afternoon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky