Grilling in smoke chamber of Oklahoma Joe Highland.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinmick

Original poster
May 15, 2023
Grilled some awesome chicken over a hot wood fire in the smoker chamber my Oklahoma Joe Highland. At first, lots of bad steel smoke coming from bottom of chamber and noticed finish all bubbled up. After fire burned down, was able to put chicken on. Any recommendations on how not to have bottom of chamber so hot and still be able to grill on chamber side. I enjoy grilling over wood quite a bit.
Thanks

None other than a kettle for grilling and keep the OKJ for smoking. I got my OKJ used, and it had been used for direct grilling with a fire in the cook chamber. It was a mess to clean all that up and get the cook chamber re-seasoned.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Second what Doug said, that's what I do, too. Also, there's a grate for the firebox so you can grill directly over wood in it. Not a lot of room, but it is designed for that...

Reactions: DougE
None other than a kettle for grilling and keep the OKJ for smoking. I got my OKJ used, and it had been used for direct grilling with a fire in the cook chamber. It was a mess to clean all that up and get the cook chamber re-seasoned.
Thanks for the reply Doug. That is in line with my thoughts on the subject. Think I'll keep the OKJ for smoking only as you noted.

Second what Doug said, that's what I do, too. Also, there's a grate for the firebox so you can grill directly over wood in it. Not a lot of room, but it is designed for that...
Thanks for the input on this subject. Had a lot of chkn and knowing the firebox would have worked but not much room as you mentioned. Was a new experiment for me and one that didnt pan out so well. Oh well the birds were great but as what Doug said, I have a big mess to clean and probably will not do this again.

I have one of their old leftover fire boxes they would make into a grill, but that was in the early production days when the metal was a lot thicker. The ones I have seen appear too thin for holding up to a lot of heat and lasting.

my char griller had an insert for coals in the smoke chamber - used it all the time. when i got my brazos i picked up a similar thing to use in that from amazon. use it all the time... but will cause grease left over from smokes to burn off the bottom of the cook chamber. just the occasional flare-up. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08KQFT1WZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i expect to have to replace it annually.
You're burning off all the seasoning in the smoke chamber as well with high heat direct grilling. I prefer not to and use other grills for high heat cooking, but to each their own.

You're burning off all the seasoning in the smoke chamber as well with high heat direct grilling. I prefer not to and use other grills for high heat cooking, but to each their own.
maybe ... but i just can't bring myself to have multiple cookers eating up space under my carport. one pit to rule them all, as it were... maybe when i rip out the sunroom and put some stairs down to the deck in back i'll get a kettle and maybe a gas grill... but for now, this is what i have room for.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky