Grill cleaning questions...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

socalq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Southern California
I've used my WSM maybe 10 times since I bought it new from Amazon. When I'm done, I take both grills and soak them in a tub with hot water and a few squirts of Costco dish soap. I let them soak anywhere from a few hours to overnight. Then I use a scrubber simillar to this one to clean the grills: http://tinyurl.com/bqc83zy. Other than a few squirts of dish soap, I haven't used any chemicals on the grills. Well, today I noticed that it appears the plating has rubbed off the grills as there are spots where the grills are now a coppery color.

I would think the grills would last longer, even though I've been using a scrubber. Is this normal? Should I be cleaning the grills another way?

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

I do mine the same way and I'm gonna be ticked if the plating starts coming off the racks. You should be able to get years out of a metal rack like that before it starts to rust. I don't think you're doing anything wrong , but I'll be curious what other opinions you get.

I don't know what the coating of the grill racks on a WSM is but my racks have a porcelain coating. I soak them overnight using the cheapest dishwasher soap I can find and the next day use a scrubbing pad on them. No wire brush. They clean up in a minute or two.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky