Greetings and tasty smoke from Titletown...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Hello all. I am not new to smoking but am ready to get serious and do more. I got a Dyna-Glo wide body vertical offset smoker a couple weeks ago from Home Depot. After reading several reviews, forums, etc., I decided that I was going to use high temp caulk for the leaky seams. The unit went together effortlessly. The majority of my time was spent cutting and installing the lava lock gaskets to the firebox/smoker junction and the firebox door. My first smoke turned out very well except that I had difficulty keeping the temperature steady and high enough. I was using hardwood lump charcoal and apple wood chunks. I ended up finishing the pork shoulder in the house oven as I was on a time constraint and couldn't wait the additional 5 hours it would have taken to finish. I really liked the rib rack and the hanging hooks on the ceiling inside the smoker. I also felt that the temperature throughout the smoker was wildly inconsistent. My first thought was to glue some rock wool sheets to the smoker walls to fix this. After perusing this forum, I found one member that screwed a welding blanket to the outside of the smoker. This seemed like an easier and better idea than mine so I have a welding blanket now on order. I have also ordered a Thermopro TP20 to monitor my cooking temps. Looking forward to some good food and exchange of ideas on this forum. Happy smoking!

Welcome Aboard from Neenah WI!

If you scroll on down you'll see there is a WI sub-forum to boot! I'm currently trying to get some people together for cold smoking some cheese and a meet and greet for WI SMF members. Sorry I can't help much with fixing up a smoker..I just use a Masterbuilt Electric :)

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to the forum, JC! Without additional details, I think you might find that you can get more consistent temperatures and repeatable results using briquettes than you can with lump charcoal. Inconsistent temperatures in your cooker can be a pain. I'm not familiar with your specific smoker (other than what I read on line) but you may need to add a baffle between the smoke inlet and the cooking chamber. Also, the addition of some fire brick might help to add some thermal mass to stabilize things a bit. Hopefully those with experience with your particular smoker will chime in.

Looking forward to some pictures of your next cook!!

Welcome to the forum, JC! Without additional details, I think you might find that you can get more consistent temperatures and repeatable results using briquettes than you can with lump charcoal. Inconsistent temperatures in your cooker can be a pain. I'm not familiar with your specific smoker (other than what I read on line) but you may need to add a baffle between the smoke inlet and the cooking chamber. Also, the addition of some fire brick might help to add some thermal mass to stabilize things a bit. Hopefully those with experience with your particular smoker will chime in.

Looking forward to some pictures of your next cook!!
Thanks for the info it is much appreciated. I have 2 fire brick by the firbox outlet and I going to take measurements for an added baffle. I wasn't sure if the fire brick idea to add thermal mass was a good move. Thanks for confirming. Will send some pics of my next smoke. Hoping to do a pork shoulder and some ribs.

Also, I am concerned that briquettes will give my meat a chemical taste. Any feedback on that notion?

Thanks JC

Also, I am concerned that briquettes will give my meat a chemical taste. Any feedback on that notion?

Thanks JC
I have to say that I'd personally go to lump charcoal over the briquettes. I'm trying to use up the charcoal I have on hand and make the switch. Even with Kingsford I can honestly smell chemicals after I've had them burning for 10 minutes and they're good and hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky