Greetings and Salutations from a guy with meat but no smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deoredx

Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Howdy sMFr's,

I could best be described as a "Newbie" to the art of smoking. Now that's not to say I haven't slow cooked my fair share of meats. I make one heck os a Boston Butt in the oven with a simple dry rub of paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, a little salt, and brown sugar cooked at 300 for about 6-7 hours and pulled appart and served with Foy's BBQ sauce (Hot, none of that mild stuff please).

foys_bbq_hot_50.gif

Now a good friend of mine came into possession of a very nice pull behind unit and he's entered a couple of BBQ competitions. He pulled it down for during our annual trip to the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona and we brined and smoked a couple of butts and they were to die for. So now, I've had the itch to invest in a smoker.

n1059582206_296596_6925.jpg

I learned a little bit from him and learned a lot from reading these forums. My 33rd Bday just passed yesterday and I was given the OK to buy myself a smoker. I've spent the last week reading about all the different types, shapes, sizes, models, etc. Thrice I had decided on a what smoker to get and I'll go to the store and they won't have them in stock.

I had wanted something that wouldn't take up much space in the back yard, so I was looking at vertical water smokers. I looked at the ECB's and didn't much care for them. I've seen mention of "$170 WSM's" but I've not found one in my $200 price range yet, the cheapest I've seen is $299 and no one around here carries them. Then there was the post about the GOSM look alike in all stainless steel at Academy but my Academy was sold out. I've gone back and forth between gas and charcoal about 10 times the last few weeks. I thought about the itty bitty American Gourmet but then bailed because I thought it would be too small.

Right now the top three in no order I'm looking at is the GOSM BiG Block at a local Wal Mart, a Perfect Flame vertical gas smoker at Lowes, and the Charbroil Silver Smoker/Brinkman look alike at Home Depot.

In the meantime I'll continue reading the forums and gathering more information. I March there is a BBQ comp near here and my buddy will be pulling his trailer down and I'll be helping him out with it. I'm sure you guys will see a post or two from be between now and then
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You can produce good Q on many types of smokers. The type smoker that is "right" depends on the person and what they want. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome to SMF. It looks like you're off to a great start here. You've spent time reading the posts and are ready to buy your first smoker.
icon_smile.gif
Looking forward to seeing some qview.

welcome, I like offsets so I would say get the silver but you will probably end up with a gas and a charcoal eventually anyway so it don't matter the order you buy them
biggrin.gif
Check you local Craigslist ads, you may be able to find a nice deal.

Welcome welcome welcome. Glad to have your hear. Sounds like your ready to start smoking. You sound like me when I joined this site. Was determined to go electric on my smoker only because I was intimidated by the others, mainly wood smokers. Ive learned so much here that I have had a 180 degree turn around. My point is, take your time, dont rush. Get all the info you can. Dont forget to take pics of your smokes. Also, whats up with what you said? "Yesterday I got permission to by myself a smoker". I am pulling your "Man Card" and submitting it for review
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. Just kidding. I can do whatever I want, I just have to check with the wife to make sure its really want I to do..... Glad to have your hear.

Welcome Aboard!! there are a bunch of knowledgeable people here that can answer any questions that you may have. Being fairly new to smoking, I made the mistake of getting a smoker that was a bargain, not what I really needed, which is a larger smoker. I have a gosm but the smaller one. I love the unit but will have to upgrade soon, as this hobby is very addictive. So before you decide, think about what,how much, and what you want in a smoker before you make your purchase.

just my .02
icon_smile.gif

deoreDX: First off, welcome aboard and Happy Birthday! Sounds like you've got the smoke-bug. As far as rigs, I believe you can get about any kind (gas, elec, charcoal, stick burner) and cook great Q with it. Depends on what you want to do with it and how much you plan to use it. I have a New Braunfels offset rig that puts out great Q, but you gotta tend it all the time to keep the temp and smoke right. Don't get me wrong, this is part of the fun of smokin'. I recently ordered a GOSM gasser from Wally, the 20" model, for $157. Lots of folks here use these and say they put out great product. Also requires less attention for times when I have other things to do than tend a fire. Point is, get what you think will satisfy your own needs. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy, and keep us posted.

Welcome to the best smoking site on Mother Earth, SMF that is. When selecting a smoker, try to go with one that you think is bigger than what you'll need on a regular smoke. Not too good a thing when the smoker is not big enough. Have fun.

Welcome to the forum. Like the rest said, whatever you get, make sure you get a big one.
biggrin.gif

Well I found one of the small GOSM's at one of the 3 local Wal Marts on clearance for $74. It was a display model but it looked like it was in very good shape. Pretty clean for sitting under the cover of the garden section. One small ding in the back and it's missing the push nuts to hold the thermometer on, but I wasn't planning on using that thermometer anyways so it's no big loss. 16" Wide 14" deep and 34" tall. Exactly what I wanted to start off with. Small w/ Gas. If I really get into the smoking my next one will be a larger sized horizontal but for now I want to concentrate on the heat and meat and wory about how to tend a fire later
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

0006019700297_500X500.jpg

I checked my bottle and had 4lbs of LP left. I let her rip full tilt and got it burning off the bad stuff. Looks like the top temp I could get with the top vent closed (as much as it would let me) and burning going full blast is about 350F. After a while I put her on low and opened the top vent to see the low side and empty the lowest I could get is was just under 250. Well, this is on the stock thermometer. I haven't boiled it yet to see how accurate it is.

Now I just have to figure out something I can cook tomorrow night after work. Some yard bird maybe? Anyone have a quick recipe someone can do after work? Time to use the search function
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the SMF. Quick smokes? I've never done one. Spend the rest of the week conjuring up a recipe, and work it low and slow on the weekend. I guess you could smoke a steak or chicken for an hour or so, and give it a quick finish on the grill, if you had time. Myself, I never get home from work early enough for that. Whatever you do, good luck, and show us the Q-view.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky