Going to build my UDS - Can't wait (punch list inside).

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forcedsquint

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 1, 2008
So, I posted last week that I have 10 free drums coming my way that are being shipped from Italy with EVOO in them. Found out yesterday they will be on a ship soon and it will be 6-8 weeks before I can get my hands on an empty one. If you're in the Philly area and want a free drum 6-8 weeks from now I can hook you up.

I don't want to wait that long to get started on my UDS so I've found a place 30 min. from my house that will sell me a brand new one with a bolt ring for $59. I'm just going to do it.

Here is the "punch list" for my build, if anyone see's any problems or errors please let me know.

Drum: 55 gallon, unlined, food grade, open head with bolt ring.

Intakes: 4 3/4" steel pipe intakes, 3 with caps, 1 with a ball valve mounted 1" - 2" from bottom.

Vent: Single 3" pipe in drum bung hole.

Charcoal Grate/Ring: 13" x 6" made from expanded metal, 3" from bottom. Build a smaller ring for shorter cooks.

Food Grate: Mounted 24" above fire, should fall between 6" - 8" from top.

Grate Mounts: Stainless steel 3/8" bolts, nuts, and washers.

Other:
Season like any other cooker (pam & 300 degree burn-in)
Weber 22.5" grates are a good fit.
Use stainless steel when possible, do not use galvanized metal (zinc).
Mount thermometer at grate level, center of grate could be ~30 degrees hotter.
On a "non weld" version can use high temp silicone around the holes on outside to help seal.
Pain outside with high temp paint, get creative.

Thanks.

Take lots of pics along the way
icon_smile.gif

Have fun
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks like you're on the right track to me. Possibly place the intake vents at 2" from the bottom. But between 1"-2" from the bottom may be good as well. More experienced UDS builders will chime in I'm sure with their expertise. Your parts list looks good though.
For the expanded metal, I would go for the 3/4" spaced size. That way the ash build-up shouldn't be an issue. A quick shake of the charcoal ring should cause any ash build-up to fall to the floor of the drum. You don't want the ash build-up to mess with maintaining your long burning temperature control.

I'm with 1894 on this - please post pics if you're able with the steps mentioned. This is something I know will be referenced for all of us that are thinkin' about building a UDS, but may not have the visual pic of what's needed in their head (such as myself)
biggrin.gif

Good luck!!

Depeding on how strapped you are for cash, I've found that most toilet bowl cleaners strip the zinc plating from a grade 8 steel bolt. Those cost about 1/10th the cost of stainless. If money isn't an issue, go for it, and rust won't ever be an issue.

Also, I'm using a standard Weber bottom grate for my basket mine, with stainless expanded metal on the sides. Use heavy wire to "stitch" the expanded metal together in a ring, and mount to the grate. Less than $20 for the completed basket. Not sure how long the wire will last. Will just have to see.

Also, I thought I'd use the clamp ring as well (mine was free), but it's a pain in the butt to take off and on, and really serves no purpose as the lid seals just fine without it. Not saying don't use it, but just my opinion.

One last suggestion, and it sounds obvious, but just be aware: Make sure your bottom basket is smaller in diameter than the clearance needed for the upper grate supports......don't ask me why I mention that....I'll never admit it.

Looking forward to pics of the build please post a bunch

I'm impressed, you've got a great gameplan, can't wait to see the finished product!
FYI...If the drum isin't bare metal inside, i would advise burning it out first!

Thanks so much for all the replies. I will take lots of pictures and post them along with the materials list and specs. I'm really looking forward to doing this.

Looks like Master Drum Builder bbq bubba gave ya everything you need to get you straight on with building that drum. Good luck with your build. Looking forward to those pics along the way.

BTW, if you need a calculator to get you the proper length for your diameter on the baskets try this link out...

http://www.athropolis.com/popup/c-circ2.htm

PC

only problem I see in this is the Punch list-in my line of work a punch list is a list of things that need fixed! what you have showed is a material list-big differance-all else looks great.I real close to building a drum and will fallow your thread if ok.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky