Going Bacon Crazy: 22 Pounds, 4 Different Flavors (w/ Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
So with the wife really getting on board with bacon, which she never ate before I started making it at home, we are going through record amounts of the stuff. She actually went so far as to ask (insist? demand?) that I don't share any more with friends unless I start making double batches. Far be it from me to argue with the One Who Controls The Purse Strings so off I went to Costco and laid hands on the two biggest pork bellies I could find. Total weight was right at 22 pounds. That's gonna make a LOT of bacon....and hopefully make her happy :-) I cut both bellies into two pieces, weighed each, calculated the right amount of cure needed, and flavored each of them differently. It didn't cross my mind to take pics of the prep but the flavors are: maple & brown sugar, molasses and brown sugar, pepper crusted, and a new one, Cajun blackened. I've never seen or heard of anybody doing a Cajun blackened bacon so this is an absolute first for me but it seemed like it might work. All four slabs cured for 9 days then were taken out and rinsed well under cold water. After drying them off I added a second light application of each flavor to the slabs. Not being too sure about the Cajun flavor, I sliced off a small piece and did a fry test on it just to get an idea of what it'd be like. Didn't want to spend 8 hours smoking something that was gonna be a disaster :-) It was a bit salty even though I backed off the base salt amount in the cure due to knowing the seasoning had some salt in it. I used Chipotle pepper for the second round of seasoning versus more Cajun blackening season. There will be a brief review of this one at the end. They were all put back in the fridge overnight and smoked yesterday. When I got it all on the smoker it was an impressive sight so I started taking pics at that point. These will all be thumbnails so you can click on them to enlarge the pictures. Drum roll please.....

Smoker loaded up
IMG_20180415_073359.jpg

Maple on the left, molasses on the right
IMG_20180415_073413.jpg

Pepper on the left, Cajun on the right
IMG_20180415_073419.jpg

8 hours later and off the smoker. This is the pepper crusted
IMG_20180415_135430.jpg

Molasses and brown sugar
IMG_20180415_135436.jpg

Maple and brown sugar
IMG_20180415_135440.jpg

Cajun
IMG_20180415_142129.jpg

All sliced up. That's a pile of bacon!!
IMG_20180416_075755.jpg

Money shot. 16 bags of sliced and 3 bags of giblets I chopped up from the end pieces. These will get cooked and used in soups, salads, scalloped potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, or whatever else I may dream up along the way.
IMG_20180416_100347.jpg

Ran the smoker at 135* for an hour or so then started the smoke with apple wood for about 7 hours at 150*, which worked out beautifully. There was no point in checking the IT because all of the slabs varied so much in thickness. I just let them go until the meat side was starting to color and the fat cap was starting to turn a golden brown. It was a marathon run this morning slicing all of this and getting it packaged but hopefully it'll keep my hobbies funded for a couple more weeks :-) Insofar as the Cajun bacon goes....although different than any other bacon I have ever had, it is truly amazing!! I cooked a few slices this morning, fried a couple eggs, added some toast, and had breakfast. It is bacon in no uncertain terms but with a flavor that is just beyond words. I can't tell you how good this stuff is, but I will tell you that it'll forever be a staple in our house. It's got a little bit of a tingle, an unbelievable complexity, and depth of flavor that I've never experienced with bacon before. Still a bit salty but that's fine....bacon is supposed to be salty and the salt is balanced out with the rest of the flavors. That's all for now, and thanks for looking.

Shakin' and bacon in Lago,
Robert

Attachments

• IMG_20180416_075755.jpg
    IMG_20180416_075755.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 64
"Looks great, thanks for sharing!
What was in your cajun seasoning?"

More than welcome!!

Here ya go. This does not make a very big batch but you can do as many variables as you may need for your cooking style. I tend to make about 5X this much, which will last a little while since I mostly just use it for seasoning steaks.

2 Tbsps. Paprika
1 Tbsp. granulated Garlic
½ T Onion powder
1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
1/2 tsp. dried Oregano
1 Tbsp. salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

"I’ve never made it but wouldn’t mind trying. I need a slicer first."

For several years I jut had a small Browning slicer that I got from Academy for $85 and used it for everything. It was still working great when I got my new one a few weeks ago and the old one was gifted to a member of the forum and he has used it with no issues at all. The new one was gotten from Amazon and while I was searching for it I saw literally dozens of them for less than $100. Point being is that you can get one pretty cheap that will do the job for a long time as long as you use it within it's capabilities.

Robert

Reactions: 73saint
"Very nice! And here I thought you Texans were beef guys :D"

We are beef guys and beef will always rule in Texas. I guess I forgot to mention in my post that you can't make bacon wrapped filet mignon, bacon cheese burgers, or bacon laced meatloaf.....without bacon o_O We just happen to eat a lot of steaks, burgers, and meatloaf around here which requires a lot of bacon...hee hee hee

Covering my tracks,
Robert

"Great looking bacon! Points for sure!"

Thank you very much on both counts!!

"I haven't done my own yet but soon as I get some free time its on my list!"

It was a bit intimidating at first having never done it before but you'll be amazed at how easy it really is. I was concerned about spending two weeks on something and not have it turn out right, but my concerns were unfounded. It takes time for the curing process and smoking it but actual hands-on time is very minimal. Fair warning though: Once you do it, you'll never go back to store bought bacon so be prepared to keep a stash on hand at all times :-)

Stoking the fires.....
Robert

"Your bacon looks fantastic Robert!"

Thank you Al. coming from you, I take that as a very high compliment. Disco is a great teacher so I tried to follow his lesson plan, and it worked :-)

"I like your smoker too!"

Very much appreciated. It's an interesting pit with some creative design elements and a long story behind it that goes back about 5 years, even though I've only had it for 9 months. Posting the story in this thread may be inappropriate so I'll save that story for another day, unless anybody has specific questions.

"Congrats on making the carousel!"

Woo hoo!! Honored and humbled once again.

Robert

So with the wife really getting on board with bacon, which she never ate before I started making it at home, we are going through record amounts of the stuff. She actually went so far as to ask (insist? demand?) that I don't share any more with friends unless I start making double batches. Far be it from me to argue with the One Who Controls The Purse Strings so off I went to Costco and laid hands on the two biggest pork bellies I could find. Total weight was right at 22 pounds. That's gonna make a LOT of bacon....and hopefully make her happy :) I cut both bellies into two pieces, weighed each, calculated the right amount of cure needed, and flavored each of them differently. It didn't cross my mind to take pics of the prep but the flavors are: maple & brown sugar, molasses and brown sugar, pepper crusted, and a new one, Cajun blackened. I've never seen or heard of anybody doing a Cajun blackened bacon so this is an absolute first for me but it seemed like it might work. All four slabs cured for 9 days then were taken out and rinsed well under cold water. After drying them off I added a second light application of each flavor to the slabs. Not being too sure about the Cajun flavor, I sliced off a small piece and did a fry test on it just to get an idea of what it'd be like. Didn't want to spend 8 hours smoking something that was gonna be a disaster :) It was a bit salty even though I backed off the base salt amount in the cure due to knowing the seasoning had some salt in it. I used Chipotle pepper for the second round of seasoning versus more Cajun blackening season. There will be a brief review of this one at the end. They were all put back in the fridge overnight and smoked yesterday. When I got it all on the smoker it was an impressive sight so I started taking pics at that point. These will all be thumbnails so you can click on them to enlarge the pictures. Drum roll please.....

Smoker loaded up
View attachment 360904

Maple on the left, molasses on the right
View attachment 360910

Pepper on the left, Cajun on the right
View attachment 360911

8 hours later and off the smoker. This is the pepper crusted
View attachment 360912

Molasses and brown sugar
View attachment 360913

Maple and brown sugar
View attachment 360914

Cajun
View attachment 360915

All sliced up. That's a pile of bacon!!
View attachment 360918

Money shot. 16 bags of sliced and 3 bags of giblets I chopped up from the end pieces. These will get cooked and used in soups, salads, scalloped potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, or whatever else I may dream up along the way.
View attachment 360919

Ran the smoker at 135* for an hour or so then started the smoke with apple wood for about 7 hours at 150*, which worked out beautifully. There was no point in checking the IT because all of the slabs varied so much in thickness. I just let them go until the meat side was starting to color and the fat cap was starting to turn a golden brown. It was a marathon run this morning slicing all of this and getting it packaged but hopefully it'll keep my hobbies funded for a couple more weeks :) Insofar as the Cajun bacon goes....although different than any other bacon I have ever had, it is truly amazing!! I cooked a few slices this morning, fried a couple eggs, added some toast, and had breakfast. It is bacon in no uncertain terms but with a flavor that is just beyond words. I can't tell you how good this stuff is, but I will tell you that it'll forever be a staple in our house. It's got a little bit of a tingle, an unbelievable complexity, and depth of flavor that I've never experienced with bacon before. Still a bit salty but that's fine....bacon is supposed to be salty and the salt is balanced out with the rest of the flavors. That's all for now, and thanks for looking.

Shakin' and bacon in Lago,
Robert
Those photos are inspirational. I plan to try smoking pork belly into bacon sometime soon.

Wow bacon looks great. My goto has been pepper crusted & maple syrup that I marinate over a week before smoking (recipe from Chris Lily). I'm a cajun food fan, though never thought about it on bacon.

"I would love to try this! How does your curing process work? I've read up on the curing method and it seems a lot have their own slight changes."

Curing is very simple. There are 3 common components in bacon cure: Cure #1 (Prague powder), salt, and sugar. The sugar is not a requirement however. It's used primarily to balance out the saltiness. I use no sugar on my pepper crusted or the Cajun bacon but did on the other 2. Calculate the amount of cure you need, mix it with the salt and sugar, rub it all over the slabs, put them in a zip lock bag, put in the fridge, and turn them once a day. If you're using any wet flavorings like maple syrup or molasses, rub those into the meat before adding the dry ingredients. On this last batch I put the slabs in vac seal bags and sealed them versus using zip lock bags. They were not under vacuum though, only sealed. Here is a link to a very helpful tool for calculating the cure. It will convert any designation of weight to any desired designation. Ex: pounds/ounces to grams. Enter the weight in grams of your slabs into the formula on the left and it will calculate exactly how much you need of all components.

http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html

Something else you may want to look into. Do a search for a post from a user named Disco and look for bacon recipes. Those are the ones I used as a basis. They are very detailed and have been amazing. Another user that has a huge following for his bacon cure/brine is Pops6927. His is a wet brine that I've never tried but have read some incredible reviews of. These are some very good, reliable places to get info from. It worked for me :-)

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky