Glad to have found you!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bx3m

Original poster
Jul 2, 2018
Hey guys,
I wanted to say Hello to all members of this forum from Romania, Eastern Europe! Glad to have found you!
Below is my brand new smoker, which I got when I moved into a new house - lived in the city by now, so I was only grilling from time to time. Now I got this baby - probably not the best, or the biggest, but it is what I found to be a better choice on a slow smoker market that we have here. It has a suitable size for me, and at least for an absolute begginer in smoking meat, it also has a reasonable price.
Let me tell you a little bit about my 3 experiences so far:
1. Very first ever - used it wrong, put charcoal on both chambers, but the result was not so bad, meat (mix of "mici", sausages, pork neck) was smoky, moist. But I was all over the place. I did not like the experience, and I thought that if this is how it's done, I will give up...
2. Second experience - also used wrong, tried to rush it, damn... Not so bad meat in the end, but also bad experience.
3. Now we're talking... I started it early, around 10:30 AM, with something else for lunch so I don't have to rush it again. I had some pork ribs and some pork neck, but in a piece this time, not in slices. I left the meat in the fridge with some bought BBQ sauce (not so great but eh) overnight, then started the charcoals and put the meat on directly from the fridge - I read somewhere that this is how it takes the most smoke in the beggining. I left these 2 in there for about 6 hours, the result was WOW - smoked meat, great experience, sitting there just chillin, havin' a brew...
I don't want to talk about the first 2 times, but I do have some questions about the real way of smokin' meat in general:
1. One of the most important questions: with the first batch of charcoal, the temp inside (on the lid) was about 150* Celsius. I know that this is not good, but how do I keep a lower temp with charcoals? And how do you keep it steady?
2. The pork neck I found to be moist inside, but dried on the outside. I did not rub anything else other than the sauce which was on it. I had a aluminum tray below with some water, but it seems that it did not do the trick.
3. Is the meat better straight from the fridge or at room temperature?
That's about it for now, I am going over to reading some recipes, some of your experiences and hopefully I will do better next time. The thing is that we need to have a house-warming party, and in my group I always grilled the meat, give advices about food, etc. so now I want to raise the bar and give my friends and myself a whole new experience.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-20180624-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20180624-WA0000.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 16
  • land.png
    land.png
    1 MB · Views: 16
Whew lot of questions here but if you look through this forum (by the way Welcome from across the big ditch) you will find a lot of answers to help you you along. I wonder if your temperature was to high.

Warren

I'm reading, finding new things :)
I'm not wondering if my temp was too high, I am SURE it was. On the other hand, I need tips and tricks to keep it in the comfort zone. Maybe prepare the charcoals in smaller batches...

Welcome from Cleveland.
Here are some quick answers and by no means complete..but a good starting point.
1. Keep is steady by controlling air flow and the amount of fuel that is burning at any given time.
2. Keep your temps low and spritz the meat. A simple spritz is 50/50 apple juice and vunegar. You can use just about anything you like for a spritz.
3. They say colder meat does attract smoke better. I do a mix of straight from the fridge to the smiker or at times I will let it sit on the counter while I am getting the smoker ready. Poultry is definitely fridge to cooker. Beef and pork can go either way. Depending on the cut if meat it will have to sit out a long time to change the temp. I am not willing to do that...don't like to enhance a potential pathogen eco system. I see no real benefit leaving the meat out.

These are just some quick answers the way I think about BBQ. The fun is learning and trying new things. Good luck with your journey!

Add 1 quick comment to item 1. You may have to adjust the amount of lite coals you start with. It is mostly easier to bring the temp up versus down.

Thanks joedube70! First for the welcome, second for the tips, it just goes to confirm my suspicions. Ofcourse, much of it is trial-and-error, and this is a big part of the fun - learning to "drive" your smoker the best way. I believe that not even 2 same smokers are not alike. Yes, you can have similar results, but each has it's own "G-spot" :)))
Aside from smoking, I plan to also use the griller on my smoker. First, smoke some beautifull ribs, then add coals to the grill and cook some burgers. Damn, I have the best burger bun recipe, I want to show-off :D
BTW, what do you use to spritz the meat over there? I haven't found anything satisfactory around here. To tell you the truth, smokers have become available on the romanian market only about 2 years... Sad...

You are correct there...no 2 smokers are the same.
Feel free to share any recipe here. Add pics an explaination. This is a great place to learn and share.
G-spot..

Welcome aboard BX. It's pretty awesome to have people from the other side of the world share in the great smoking experience with us. I agree with the suggestions you have seen so far. These are great guidelines to follow. This is how I setup my own smoker which is an offset similar in design to yours.

I start out with about a half chimney of unlit charcoal in the firebox. I light a chimney with about half to three quarters full of charcoal and when it gets the white edges on top I pour that on top of the unlit charcoal in the firebox. I let my smoker come up to temp for about 30 minutes or so. My pit likes to run at about 250 on the cooler side away from the firebox. Once the temp is stable around 250 or 260 I add my wood chunks for smoke. I give them about 5 to 10 minutes to build smoke then put whatever meat on the smoker that I am going to cook. If it is something that will take several hours I spritz with either water or apple juice about every hour or so. No sooner than an hour. You don't want to lift the lid too often. To keep my heat and smoke good I always keep the damper on the smoke stack wide open. I control the heat with the firebox vent. If you open it more then the heat will rise with more air and if you want it to cool down then closing the vent down some will do the trick. These vent adjustments do not have an immediate affect on the temp. You have to give it 20 minutes or so to really see the effect of the change. If your temp really goes high an easy way to quickly drop the heat is by opening the door to the cooking chamber for a few seconds. Maybe ten seconds or so if it's really necessary. When I add more coals, I prefer to add them unlit. Yes there is some smoke as they catch but I've never had any of that have any adverse affect on the taste of my meats. When it comes to the temp of the meat I prefer to take the meat out of the fridge just before it goes on the smoker. I will only have the meat out long enough to prep it and put it on the smoker unless it's something that I have prepped ahead of time. If that's the case, then I will prep it and then put it in the fridge. It will only come out of the fridge long enough to find it's way to the smoker at that point. Not a big believer in letting the meat sit on the counter if it doesn't have to.

Keep looking through the forum for answers to your questions. Just about everything is on here somewhere. Enjoy your stay here at SMF. Take care.

George

Thank you all for the warm welcome (not too warm though, just about 225* :D)
I find all your starting tips to be awesome, they are just the missing pieces in this puzzle.
I think that I have to start by forgetting all about the grills I have done before. For example, I was playing around with the chimney damper and firebox vent, but I couldn't see any results - ofcourse, it's not a 2 minutes fix, now it makes sense, duh!
RiversideSm0ker RiversideSm0ker - as for the coals, I used a full chimney every time, I will try to put less, half to three quarters, and a few on the bottom so they start slowly.
I may have time this weekend to put on another batch, MAY have time, unfortunately we're still moving things around the new house, job takes a lot of time, but in the end hey! a man has to eat and feed his family, right?
Next time I will smoke something I will documents the entire process and post it here, so you can see if I have evolved or not :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky