Getting ready to do my first brisket tonight...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jax04

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2013
Well I bought 3 briskets. 2 from a butcher and one, from Kroger. I'm going cook the Kroger one first to learn on lol. ...grill is cleaned and ready. Woot.

Any last minute tips? I was just gonna run with a basic rub, salt, pepper, garlic little cayenne and a touch of dark Brown sugar. No injection. Hoping,this doesn't kill me in the end.

Plan is too cook at 225-250 until I reach an internal temp of about 160ish, pull and wrap in juices from juice tray.

Thoughts? Oh yeah... Apple wood.

Sounds good , except . I would leave the B.Sugar off . Too much Bark
icon_exclaim.gif
 Sugar will burn with the length this will be in , use turbinato Sugar the last hr. for glaze .

Go with your temps. for one hr. , probe and shut the lid , until it gets to  your temp.  "NO" peeking
icon_exclaim.gif
   Feed , watch smoke , watch CC temp. and IMT .

Have fun and as always . . .

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I got a tip last night from an old,neighbor to use worsetrchire sauce as well... I should've checked this. I did use a tablespoon of Brown sugar in my rub. But the rest was what was posted. I hope it turns out good.

Thanks guys. Pit is heating now, meat is prepped and waiting on the counter.

9be95eb62eac26fb592cd6b6fa745b6c.jpg

bout an hour into the cook, was checking thermometers against each other.  Looks pretty good. so the lid probably wont open again for a couple hours.

Last edited:
going through alot of fuel today, pretty chilly around 45*  seems i'll be adding coals in about an hour.  Thats about 1.5 hours sooner then normal.

I'm going to wrap this thing soon and transfer to oven to finish off. Was thinking off putting some beef broth and a little shake rub in the wrap with the meat. Thoughts?

4 hours. Gonna,wrap it,now and take a nap.
95fde751bc8eb4aa057b23ca9a3cb28c.jpg

Thanks man, ill be sure to post some picks of the cuts when i unwrap it.  Its been wrapped on the counter for about 45 mintues now.  Its gonna end up resting about 2.5 hours as I last minute threw some ribs in and they wont be done for about 30 minutes later after a 2 hour rest on the brisket.  I may cut it in half with about half hour left and make some cubes on the grill and wait to slice the flat until its all done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky