Fresh sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Did a batch of sausage this morning. These will be made into patties. I decided to go with a "warm" batch instead of mild or hot.
P4170790.JPG

Started out with a 7 pound boneless butt. After some trimming. I ended up with 6.5 pounds.

Cut up and put in the freezer for 2 hours.

P4170791.JPG

Now onto the grinding. Mine was making some strange noises. And starting to smell hot. And my brother from another mother Robert tx smoker tx smoker gifted me with his old unit since he just bought a new one. Talk about timing right?

P4180792.JPG

This grinder is a beast! All metal gears. And chewed through the semi frozen pork like butter.

P4180793.JPG

Ground up and ready for the spices. I rounded the amounts for a 6 pound batch.
6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
2.5 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon onion powder
2 tablespoon dried basil
4 teaspoons paprika
4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
1.5 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Mix vinegar first to moisten then mix in spices until well blended.

P4180794.JPG

And did a text patty.

P4180795.JPG

Great taste! And the fat content is dead on. I love butts! Um, well. You know what I mean!

Last edited:
Wow Steve!! Great looking sausage. You gonna stuff it or leave in bulk? I'm guessing the grinder worked well for you. It served me flawlessly for a long time and I got more than my money's worth out of it. Now I just need to fire up the new one and see how it does. I still have a bunch of ground pork in the freezer from last time I used the one you showed here. When I get it out I tend to grind everything I have then freeze what I don't need right now so only need to clean the grinder once :emoji_laughing:

Really lazy at heart,
Robert

Good morning Robert. I'm planning on making just patties with this batch. And do a curb drop off of 1/2 of it to my oldest son. Give him something to cook up with his eggs since he is quarantined. Maybe get a peek of the grand kids in life instead of face time.

Reactions: jcam222
Good looking sausage. Might have to try that recipe.

Thank you. If you like hot sausage you'll need to add a couple more teaspoons of red pepper flake. With this recipe there is a touch of heat, but not hot by any means.

Good morning Robert. I'm planning on making just patties with this batch.

Well well...you might get to use the burger press I included also. I have one exactly like the one I sent you and it's used solely for pressing sausage patties. I have one a bit bigger that I use for burgers but found the one that's included to be the perfect size for sausage patties.

Robert

That is exactly what I have planned! I'll be doing that after we get back from shopping.

Awesome! Might have to give that recipe a try some time looks like it would be tasty!

And they are now patties. That hamburger press works pretty darn good Robert.

P4180796.JPG

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky