Freezing Pulled Pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigtattoo79

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Can I safely freeze pulled pork WITHOUT a vacuum sealer? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Yes you can put it in a ziplock bag and squeeze the air out no problem. It will work fine

Thank you for the reply. I assumed that it would be fine to freeze in a ziplock bag but wanted some reassurance!

If you're going to store it for any length of time wrap it nice and tight in plastic wrap not one but twice making sure there are now air pockets, then place them into ziplock freezer bags and wrap in butcher paper. This will keep every bit as long as vacuum sealed food.

Just be a bit more careful when reheating it if you leave it in the bag! Some of those cheap off brand ziplocks are really bad when heated up in a microwave!

I'd never even think of heating up food in a ziploc bag, heating it in foodsaver bags is bad enough.
Plastic is some nasty stuff.

Take a crock pot, set it on “high” with the crock about 1/2 full of water.
Put your still-bagged-and-frozen pork in the water when it’s up to temp..
Wait a few minutes until it’s thawed and hot.
Dump out the water and return the now hot pork to the crock pot on “Warm”
Serve, and marvel that you can’t really taste much of a difference from fresh.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Everybody who’s anybody uses ziplock freezer bags to sous vide, and this isn’t any different.
No bad molecules will leach out and taint your delicious creation.

Have at it.......and sous vide is not the same as microwaving in plastic bags by any stretch of the imagination. But go for it if that what floats your boat, it's not a safe practice by any means.

The ultimate thread derail, the O.P. asks about freezing and we twist it into a reheating thread. :emoji_laughing:

:emoji_blush:
I'd never even think of heating up food in a ziploc bag, heating it in foodsaver bags is bad enough.
Plastic is some nasty stuff.
I was merely responding to this, and making it clear that, having frozen ones pulled pork in a ziplock bag, an excellent and safe method of thawing and reheating it could be effected in the same receptacle, and that this method is widely utilized and accepted as safe.:emoji_blush:

i'd first wrap it in aluminum foil, then put it into a freezer bag. another option, if you're sensitive about your food touching foil, is to wrap it first in pink butcher paper, then wrap in foil, then into freezer bag. vacuum seal bag would be my first pick, but you didn't list it as an option.

foil is much better at protecting food in the freezer than plastic wraps or ziploc bags.

Last edited:
I reheat in a frying pan... Throw the frozen PP in it and add more finishing sauce and a little water.... Done in a few minutes...
I freeze in zip bags with finishing sauce... usually enough for 2-3 sammies...

Thanks to everyone for sharing some advice. One thing everyone's post proves is (we are passionate about our food) and that's a good thing!

I'm gonna experiment with freezing small amounts (and reheating also lol). Once I get it dialed in I'll start smoking a extra butt for freezing.

Thanks again!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky